Join now - be part of our community!

A CLEAN SLATE PLEASE!

ryeboy
Visitor

A CLEAN SLATE PLEASE!

Im the proud owner of the VGN-FS215Z

I had to buy this version as the one I originally wanted was out of stock, but this was only £50 more with a bigger hard drive and a docking station so how could I resist.

I just want to say that I love Sony, I have a digital camera, a minidisc player, hi fi seperates, video camera, mini hi fi, and even my car has a Sony cd player unit, so knowing how good Sony electricals are I chose a Sony laptop.

I have a big niggle though and wonder if anyone can help me out on this.

I hate all the software supplied!

I use none of it and it slows the laptop down so much, do I really need 4 photo editing programs on one laptop - I think not! I dont like the VAIO Zone software and think the TV tuner is a waste of time, I thought, do a system recovery to start with Windows fresh (ie not have to un-install lots of software) so I did, and to my horror, when the laptop re-started after the installation, it was full of all this junk again - argh! was back to square 1.

I have my own PC software to edit photos, edit movies, I have my own copy of Office XP (so I dont want MS Works or an insulting trial version of Office 2003) allI want is a clean install but I will put the Sony VAIO system files back on (ie power management etc)

Please can someone tell me if its possible to just install windows from the recovery discs without putting all the Sony stuff back on? I understand this would be very useful to a novice who wants to try out software, but I already have the software that works for me.

Please help!

9 REPLIES 9
Eugenepang
Visitor

Im the proud owner of the VGN-FS215Z

I had to buy this version as the one I originally wanted was out of stock, but this was only £50 more with a bigger hard drive and a docking station so how could I resist.

I just want to say that I love Sony, I have a digital camera, a minidisc player, hi fi seperates, video camera, mini hi fi, and even my car has a Sony cd player unit, so knowing how good Sony electricals are I chose a Sony laptop.

I have a big niggle though and wonder if anyone can help me out on this.

I hate all the software supplied!

I use none of it and it slows the laptop down so much, do I really need 4 photo editing programs on one laptop - I think not! I dont like the VAIO Zone software and think the TV tuner is a waste of time, I thought, do a system recovery to start with Windows fresh (ie not have to un-install lots of software) so I did, and to my horror, when the laptop re-started after the installation, it was full of all this junk again - argh! was back to square 1.

I have my own PC software to edit photos, edit movies, I have my own copy of Office XP (so I dont want MS Works or an insulting trial version of Office 2003) allI want is a clean install but I will put the Sony VAIO system files back on (ie power management etc)

Please can someone tell me if its possible to just install windows from the recovery discs without putting all the Sony stuff back on? I understand this would be very useful to a novice who wants to try out software, but I already have the software that works for me.

Please help!

First of all congratulations on your Vaio!..:smileygrin:
Now as for your questions.. yup you can either uninstall all the software that you dont want or do a recovery and choose what you want and what you doesnt want .. but FIRST!! WARNING!! burn the recovery DVD/CD-R first just incase something goes wrong and you had formatted your drive.

And i also would suggest you upgrade your ram to min 1G (me 2G:smileylaugh: )..

ryeboy
Visitor

I tried that but it didnt give me the option, it just re-installed all the software again :o(

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

The only way to do this is uninstall and use Tune-Up Utilities to clear up your registry

ryeboy
Visitor

Hi there, thanks for the reply 🐵

So once the laptop has been restored do I have to un-install the applications first before running Tune-up utilities?

Also what actually are Tune-up utilities? Are they part of the VAIO software?

Thanks

Eugenepang
Visitor

Hi there, thanks for the reply 🐵

So once the laptop has been restored do I have to un-install the applications first before running Tune-up utilities?

Also what actually are Tune-up utilities? Are they part of the VAIO software?

Thanks

Yup

Nope its not part of VAIO software... its like Norton Systemsworks etc etc..

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

NO Eugene, Norton Systemworks destroys the registry

tune-up.com has what you need

GBS
Visitor

NO Eugene, Norton Systemworks destroys the registry

tune-up.com has what you need

Cick Here for Tune Up Trial

netemmye
Visitor

f you have your own copy of XP, than just format C: and install your copy.....do a clean install..it works (for me..)still i like Vaio zone.

PS;...DO YOUR RECOVERY DVD FIRST!!!!!

ryeboy
Visitor

Thanks for all your help guys :smileygrin: