Join now - be part of our community!

A197vp Crashing on games

for_sean
Visitor

A197vp Crashing on games

hi.

just got my new laptop, im very impressed apart from one small problem. when playing some of my games, (quake3, need for speed underground etc) The screen hangs then the computer locks up. has anyone else had this problem and found a way to resolve it.

thanks.

Seán

19 REPLIES 19
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Could be overheating.
Is the machine hot?
Have you changed graphics drivers?

Woody27
Visitor

Sean,

It's not overheating on the A series, it's the crap graphic drivers that Sony supplies! :cry:

You will find this happening on many games! :cry: :cry:

Try the Omega Drivers (www.omegadrivers.net), I have found that they work very well on my VGN-A115Z. :smileygrin:

But use them AT YOUR OWN RISK, they are not offcially supported. Also DO NOT use the overclocking facility, it will damage your graphics chip!

Using the Omega drivers I can get c. 40-50 f.p.s. from DOOM3!
:smileygrin:

Hope this helps!

CW

kee-lo_

Ah I see, it's about time Sony updated those damn drivers

Frankeng
Visitor

i have absolutely the same problem with my A197XP. and i also guess that it is because of the damn driver. i would be very glad if anybody could describe how to use and install the omega drivers correctly. caus i tried and failed once. thanks!

Woody27
Visitor

Keep going back thorugh the posts!

I wrote an article about precisly this a few weeks ago!

I will try and find the link! :smileygrin:

CW

BurastA
Visitor

damn drivers!! does not any sony techs see all these complaints. sell the notebook and do not care. anyway who asks if there are driver updates when purchasing a computer...

TygerTyger
Visitor

damn drivers!! does not any sony techs see all these complaints. sell the notebook and do not care. anyway who asks if there are driver updates when purchasing a computer...

Couldn't have put it better myself. It all just comes as a rather nasty surprise afterwards.

kee-lo_

Yeah I'm so glad I didn't get the A series in the end like I was planning back in May, seems to me they have faulty DVDs, bad graphic drivers and lack of support.

You'd expect better for £1500+

Shame :triumph:

Woody27
Visitor

Yeah I'm so glad I didn't get the A series in the end like I was planning back in May, seems to me they have faulty DVDs, bad graphic drivers and lack of support.:smileyshame_on_you:

Yeah,

But, the graphics driver problem can be overcome!

and I hope the DVD problem is not too common, not had any problems on my 115Z.... ...yet!

Incidently, the A series has just won the What Laptop award for desktop replacement performance models! So they can't be that bad, especially when compared with the competition!

Now, the K series really do seem to have problems!

Finally, support is a problem for all VAIO users!

CW