Join now - be part of our community!

A197vp Crashing on games

for_sean
Visitor

A197vp Crashing on games

hi.

just got my new laptop, im very impressed apart from one small problem. when playing some of my games, (quake3, need for speed underground etc) The screen hangs then the computer locks up. has anyone else had this problem and found a way to resolve it.

thanks.

Seán

19 REPLIES 19
Dziga
Visitor

Sony updated their 9700 drivers and the A-series BIOS last month. They're both right there on Vaio-update. Since I installed them I've not had a single crash in Q3 or Doom 3.

"faulty DVDs" - naturally you only hear about the faulty drives, not the 95% that are fine.

"bad graphic drivers" - see above, the drivers are fine. Most people prefer moaning to looking for the update or using omega.

"and lack of support" - this is common to every Sony product as you well know so why be so misleading?

The A-series is one of Sony's better value laptops at circa £1400, largely due to the screen.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

You're probably right, I think the RA104 is Sony's best VAIO, buit thats me :smileygrin:

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

For me the best VAIO is the K115B as its all I have used properly... The K series I'm using had an issue with the Optical Drive and DVD's and CD audio disks - but Sony sorted it out via support (firmware/BIOS update) - it was either the dreaded updates or send it in and that was not an option...

Dziga
Visitor

we all have our own favourite Vaio I'm sure. I just meant that the A series is quite good value. I'm not sure about the K series - the quality doesn't seem there.

As for the RA104.. wow :slight_smile:

kee-lo_

I liked the C series, GRX and RA series. I also liked the RS

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Sadly the RA series is well and truely out of my price range - 3 years wait ought to do it. The K-Series are great systems and mine is no trouble whatsoever. The A series seem highly acclaimed too.

kee-lo_

One day James....

Woody27
Visitor

I really like the thin models (X505 etc), but they are under powered if your only computer!

Design wise I always liked the GRZ-GRT models and the new RA desk top is sweet!

I really like my A series but the design does take some getting used too.... ....looks like its been left near a radiator for too long and the sides have slightly melted! :smileygrin:

CW

for_sean
Visitor

hi thanks for your help, i have downloaded and installed the latest 9700 graphics driver from the vaio update site. so far fingers crossed i havent had a crash on the games

Dziga
Visitor

glad to hear it sean, happy fragging :slight_smile: