Join now - be part of our community!

A317M: Is upgrade from ATI x600 to x800 possible?

dabel
Visitor

A317M: Is upgrade from ATI x600 to x800 possible?

Hello everybody,

not that I'm not satisfied with the current x600 in my A317M, but thinking about future upgrade possibilities, this is my question:

Can the current x600 graphics card be replaced by a different one, e.g. x800? I think that is the idea of PCIe solutions... however I'm not sure whether the x600 is "hard-wired" to the motherboard or really made upgradable.

Thanks for answers in advance!

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

No, it isn't upgradable. If you search a gaming laptop, then buy Alienware.

http://www.alienware.co.uk/main.aspx

dabel
Visitor

OK 😞 Thanx however for the quick response :wink: I already have the A317M and am fully satisfied with it (maaaaan what a screen!) - and believe everything will run on it for at least 2-3 years. Let's call it simply a "curiosity question" :wink:

seb21__
Visitor

hehe, glad that you enjoy your VAIO.

LOL, but I'm not so happy about the reflections on the screen. When the sun is shining, it's nearly the same as if I look into a mirror.:smileyrolling_eyes:

Eugenepang
Visitor

No, it isn't upgradable. If you search a gaming laptop, then buy Alienware.

http://www.alienware.co.uk/main.aspx

hey hey i've been looking into alienware too seb hehehe.. the star war edition looks cool :cool:

seb21__
Visitor

LOL, my Dark Side would cost 3385,18brittish pounds.:smileylaugh:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

OK 😞 Thanx however for the quick response :wink: I already have the A317M and am fully satisfied with it (maaaaan what a screen!) - and believe everything will run on it for at least 2-3 years. Let's call it simply a "curiosity question" :wink:

Nice to see someone looking at the glass half full instead of half empty.

The graphics card isn't bad, and people here have been able to play Doom3, but I think a lot of people use the Omega drivers to do this.

dabel
Visitor

LOL, but I'm not so happy about the reflections on the screen. When the sun is shining, it's nearly the same as if I look into a mirror.:smileyrolling_eyes:

Well, I work with my Vaio only inside, so no real problem with it :wink: However, have a look at Toshiba displays - the "mirror effect" is much much worse (I've seen Sony & Toshiba next to each other in a shop - the difference has been huge!)... I think Sony has managed to minimize the reflexing to minimum compared to the competition.

dabel
Visitor

The graphics card isn't bad, and people here have been able to play Doom3, but I think a lot of people use the Omega drivers to do this.

Yeah, I use Omega drivers myself. Based on Catalyst 5.4, I can play anything out now (e.g. HL2, Far Cry) without any problems.

seb21__
Visitor

I think Sony has managed to minimize the reflexing to minimum compared to the competition.

Not on my VAIO.:smileycry: