Join now - be part of our community!

Optical drive problems - some discs wont read

southwest
Visitor

Optical drive problems - some discs wont read

I have new VGN-A295HP with Sony DVD RW DW-56A optial drive. Have made all s/w updates recommened on vaio-link including optical drive firmware.

The drive reads video DVDs and data DVD's ("DVD-R") written by this machine and by my PCG-Z1XSP without problem but it won't read a software install CD-ROM or DVD-ROM eg. MSOffice etc.

With these types of disc, the drive sounds like it starts to spin and then cuts, and repeats that 10 or so times.

Is this a hardware failure or a driver or firmware issue ?

Thanks - SouthWest

9 REPLIES 9
mvanwambeke
Visitor

have you checked with the helpdesk?

There is always the basic TS that can be done :
- remove in device manager and restart
- reset the bios to defaults ( F2 on startup )

southwest
Visitor

Thanks for this. Tried both but no improvement.

I have raised a 'problem' on e-support.vaio-link - is that what you mean by 'the helpdesk ?' Any idea how quick they respond ?

Thanks
SouthWest

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

They try and reply in 72hrs
But as it's the weekend it'll probably be Monday morning.

HITS-UK
Visitor

24 hours - try nearer four to five days! I definately won't be having one of their hard-boiled eggs.

Seriously though this sounds like a hardware fault. I have a Matshita drive which did the same thing and it is with Sony for investigation. I am not convinced of the reliability of any of these drives beyond Pioneer and high-quality brands that are prepared to put their money where their mouths are. As soon as I get my W1 back (come the night of the glorious day) I will be buying an external DVD re-writer so I NEVER have this problem again.

kee-lo_

HTS

Are there no drives you can buy to replace it?

HITS-UK
Visitor

It is the weird way that the W1 and W2s mount the drive that causes the problems. Having said that, there is a PCMCIA slot and I have a spare SCSI card that would allow an external srive to be placed onto the system. That will sort this out once and for all. Now to find a good one - Sony ... don't think so somehow!

kee-lo_

LOL they really don't like upgradable machines do they?

avalancha
Visitor

strange opinion...

If I pay a lot of money for a vaio with DVD BURNER - why should I buy another external burner?? Sony should produce WORKABLE hardware - if they cant do that I give a shit about their products. What I buy HAS TO BE WORKING FROM START.

kee-lo_

I agree, so call VAIO-Link