Join now - be part of our community!

About the recovery process

dave_d
Visitor

About the recovery process

Hi there,

I've got a simple question about the recovery process.

I've change the size of my partitions (27go for windows, rest for my linux, and datas).

My question is :

If i boot with my recovey disk, will the install erase all my partitions and the set the computer to the default config , or can i try to install the recovery system on my brain new partitions ?

I want to recover the windows system, but dont want to lose the others partitions

Best regards,

David

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi dave_d,

I you follow this guide and slect C Drive only (Recomended) this should restore your C Drive only and leave your D Drive intact..:smileyhappy:

Back-up all important data before restoring though..:smileywink:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi David,

Have you removed the hidden Recovery Partition? What did you use to change the partition sizes? Are the Partitions still Drives C: & 😧 ? NTFS or FAT ?

You should be able to do a Drive C: Recovery only - this is the default setting in the Recovery Wizard. I assume Windows is still on C: - This should leave Drive 😧 intact.

Best to back it all up - just in case ....................?

:wink:

EDIT: Evening Thalamus !! :cry: :cry:

dave_d
Visitor

Thank you for the answers,

I'm using mainly debian on it, so first thing i've done was the recovery dvds and a brand new install.

I'm using many linux partitions, and xp pro (got my own system image for each one).

The problem is that i'm running out of space (not that much but i need more place :D), so i'm thinking of removing the hiden partition, create new nfts partition (something like 29go) and then restore the default windows on it.

In fact, I need more 'default' system backup (i got only one copy from the sony recovery image), so the only way for me is to reinstall the default system and then backup it again and again.

So i want to know if its possible to reinstall this system on a partition created by myself ?

With others recovery tools, theses manipulations are possible but i'm not sure about the vaio recovery ...

If someone can confirm this :slight_smile:

Greatings,

David

ps: i'm using a szxp1, a little bit dissapointed by the 'missing' install disk, but the laptop is awesome.
ps2: sorry for my 'poor' english

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Hmm I'm wondering if you'd be better off using an image program to back up all your partitions except for recovery and using that instead of that tool?

dave_d
Visitor

Yes, that's what i do, but i'm not using the default xp pro on my vaio.

In fact, i want to reinstall it just to create new backups dvd (if an issue occurs, first thing sony support will ask is a system recovering (dont want to pay 50euros to buy install disk if my only recover copy fails)).

So, i think i need to backup every partitions on a external drive and then recover the default system, copy more dvds, and then restore all my partitions ....

Dammit :tongue: