Join now - be part of our community!

about the update and mp3 playback

lordviper
Visitor

about the update and mp3 playback

as i said before this product, the ap1, will never play raw mp3's (like the ipod).

it is a major drawback i know, but today i received confirmation that the mp3 capabilaties the update speaks of will mean that drm is added to the tracks as they are transferred over to the ap1l. making them just as encrypted as atrac files.
i beleive sony have covered themselves by the phrasing they use in the update announcement.

therefore, i think i may continue to use atrac files as it offers better compression, but this will all depend on how good ss 2.3 is.
as for the other updates, im not too sure but the gapless playback and faster scrolling are necessary and will bring the unit close to perfection, all that i feel is really needed then will be better support for viewing pictures, rather than having to create loads of USER folders.

but lets see what else the update brings.........:smileywink:

50 REPLIES 50
lordviper
Visitor

i dont know who this guy on the register is but if he really reviewed the HD3 then hed know that it uses drm, thats a concrete fact. thats why i beleive the same system will be applied to the ap1l.
the drms applied so fast that most users wont even realise theyve got drm infected tracks until they try to copy or edit them.
so if it has the same limitations as atrac but retains the big sizes in respects to the relative poor quality then the only advantage to the experienced user is the trasfer/conversion speed.
edit- just read the link provided and the reviewer even mentions drm.

clubuser
Visitor

I think you mixing definitions up.

It will playback MP3 files which is a great advantage when you already have a MP3 collection and speads up the transfer like hell.

It doe NOT support illegal distribution of your MP3 files which is fine. Meaning that you can not "check-in" MP3 files on a machine that does not have the file in it's library.

That's all...

CUCU

lordviper
Visitor

no no. i may have phrased it wrong. with my experience of the nw-e99 and colleagues experiences of the hd3 the tracks are drm added. its not about libraries. so if i wanted to edit a track access would always be denied. it would behave just in the same way an atrac file does.
im *guessing* that the ap1 will use the same system the nw-e99, 95 and hd3 uses. if not then great, id love to see it on my ap1l.
i hope im wrong.

chris_lewis
Visitor

What happens when I buy my next new Vaio and want to transfer my SS library to it?

Will the DRM stop this happening?

C:smileyconfused:

lordviper
Visitor

What happens when I buy my next new Vaio and want to transfer my SS library to it?

Will the DRM stop this happening?

C:smileyconfused:

very interesting question. ive got no idea, but would like to know the answer.

Sekigahara
Visitor

ehm, you guys are talking about....what??
^^
ne, so; I think this will be equivalent to the music managing on the ipod. You can transfer files to this device and online take it back on the same PC. so its the quite the same as ipod, and it ain't that bad...

nemo66
Visitor

Again---wrong!
J-66 :smileygrin:

lordviper
Visitor

Again---wrong!
J-66 :smileygrin:

you do this alot. so whats the correct answer?
as i say, i dont think anyone has this update yet, so im drawing my info from all the onther sony products launched this december which supposedly play mp3. my product training on the vaio pocket update and ss 2.3 should be on monday, and i assure you there WILL be some form of drm, i just dont know to what degree.

diverse
Visitor

I have found that every copy protected CD that will not copy to ATRAC in Sonic will copy in Itunes, i rip as WAV then convert to ATRAC!

I agree with piracy but i believe it wrong that if i buy a CD legitimatly i cannot play it without farting around using Itunes or even re-mastering (that's what i do!) the disc digitally and re-burn an un-copy protected disc (but Itunes has yet to be beaten by any copy protection) YEAH for apple on that front!

diverse
Visitor

I have found that every copy protected CD that will not copy to ATRAC in Sonic will copy in Itunes, i rip as WAV then convert to ATRAC!

I dissagree with piracy but i believe it wrong that if i buy a CD legitimatly i cannot play it without farting around using Itunes or even re-mastering (that's what i do!) the disc digitally and re-burn an un-copy protected disc (but Itunes has yet to be beaten by any copy protection) YEAH for apple on that front!