Join now - be part of our community!

about the update and mp3 playback

lordviper
Visitor

about the update and mp3 playback

as i said before this product, the ap1, will never play raw mp3's (like the ipod).

it is a major drawback i know, but today i received confirmation that the mp3 capabilaties the update speaks of will mean that drm is added to the tracks as they are transferred over to the ap1l. making them just as encrypted as atrac files.
i beleive sony have covered themselves by the phrasing they use in the update announcement.

therefore, i think i may continue to use atrac files as it offers better compression, but this will all depend on how good ss 2.3 is.
as for the other updates, im not too sure but the gapless playback and faster scrolling are necessary and will bring the unit close to perfection, all that i feel is really needed then will be better support for viewing pictures, rather than having to create loads of USER folders.

but lets see what else the update brings.........:smileywink:

50 REPLIES 50
nemo66
Visitor

@Kee-Lo

ABR=AVERAGE BITRATE
FYI ABR is not a compression algo
Instead of it VBR (Variable Bit Rate) is an algo for compression.

Anyway, correcting you i tought u ment VBR (writing ABR as misstyping).
Sorry for thinking you know so much about mp3 and compressions.

J-66:smileyconfused:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

LOL no problem.

nemo66
Visitor

Okey Mister Kee-Lo

twim
Visitor

Well, back again to MP3 quality issues.

I have a huge MP3 library ripped from original CDs. Before starting ripping searched about MP3 bitrates and quality.
Take a look at: http://www.geocities.com/altbinariessoundsmusicclassical/vbr-encoding.htm

I decided to start ripping at 192 kbps, Joint Stereo, High Quality with CDex and Lame encoder.

I'm a musician and also an audiophile and believe it's very hard to tell the difference from the original CDs !

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

LAME for me is the ONLY MP3 encoder.

nemo66
Visitor

i-Tunes with it´s standard settings is for me the best!

diverse
Visitor

Actually, uncompressed WAV's are the BEST quality from CD!

A compramise and better than MP3 is ATRAC, the low end bass reproduction if far superior on ATRAC than MP3.

I have listened to several MP3 Codecs, 256k VBR MP3 is poor compared against 256k ATRAC!

twim
Visitor

lordviper
Visitor

getting back to my point, heres a review by a customer of the new HD-3 which uses sonys new mp3 support firmware, and he totally trashes it.
read it here
heres a conclusive quote

"I feel like I wasted my money" and "if there was a way I could return this thing, I'd do it in a second".

hmmmm, confusing?
also sonic stage 2.3 is availble here

chris_lewis
Visitor

Hi that review was what I thought would happen.

Ive got an HD1 using SS 2.1 atrac3 132k C:smileycool:

Personally I think the reson the Sekigaharas MP3's sounded poor is that Sony products are tuned for Atracs better audio performance.:smileyapplause:

So I will stick to Atrac3 thankyou very much:smileygrin:

C