Join now - be part of our community!

Aircraft power adapter for VGN-S3XP or similar?

srp
Visitor

Aircraft power adapter for VGN-S3XP or similar?

Does anyone have any experience using a VGN-S3XP, or another model with similar power requirements, with in-seat power on an aircraft? I've recently upgraded from another brand of notebook but I haven't found an adapter or power tip from either iGo or Targus that claims to support the newer VAIOs.

There are two issues that concern me:
Firstly, is a 70W, or even a 90W supply enough for this notebook? Opinion seems divided - some say any Centrino-based notebook will have a low enough drain while others say even 90W isn't enough. The adapter supplied with the VAIO will output a maximum of just over 90W (4.7A at 19.5V) so I'd be surprised if it was so close that even a 90W unit would be underpowered.

The second issue is finding a compatible power tip. The closest I've found is an iGo tip for a VGN-S3HP. Can someone confirm, or otherwise, that it'll power a S3XP?

Simon

2 REPLIES 2
Stephanius
Visitor

Hi Srp,

The S3HP and S3XP use the same power supply, so you can be sure that the plugs are identical.

The original power supply is designed to allow you running the notebook on full steam while charging the battery at the same time. Should you have any problems, you can use powersaving features to reduce the notebook's actual power consumption or simply remove the battery ;-]

Keep in mind that when doing this you impair your warranty by using a non-original power supply.

srp
Visitor

Thanks for the help. I'll get the power tip for the S3HP and take it from there. To be honest I've never had any problems with my in-flight adapter on either several previous VAIOs or the immediate predecessor to my current notebook, which was from a different manufacturer, so I'm happy to take the chance regarding the warranty.

Of course, if Sony were to make a VAIO-branded (and styled!) aircraft power adapter that would be another story... :wink:

Cheers,
Simon