Join now - be part of our community!

Answer this if you can...

darth
Visitor

Answer this if you can...

Hi, Here's a tricky one for you all... (Assuming it's not been done a hundred times already!!)

I have a PCG-GRX316MP that's now dead :o( But the monitor (the reason for which I bought a Sony in the first place) is fine. How can I find a wiring diagram so I can solder the laptop's wires to a normal desktop VGA connector??? I.E. I want to run this Sony monitor from my desktop computer - my new mini Mac.

Regards, darth

8 REPLIES 8
Stephanius
Visitor

This might be theoretically possible, but I would not recommend it.

Even if it is a regular VGA connection and you manage to isolate the proper connections and resolder them to a VGA connector, you would stil have to keep the notebooks guts at hand to use the power supply. Considering that you get a 17" TFT display rather cheap these days its just not worth the hassle.

darth
Visitor

Surely the power supplied by the voltage out of the VGA connector should do the trick - rather than using the Vaio's. But as for cheap flat monitors... To get one that will run at 1600x1200 as the Sony does, doesn't leave much change from £1000 !!!! So keeping this one is worth it. :slight_smile:

darth

profile.country.en_GB.title
tellingd
Visitor

Surely the power supplied by the voltage out of the VGA connector should do the trick - rather than using the Vaio's. But as for cheap flat monitors... To get one that will run at 1600x1200 as the Sony does, doesn't leave much change from £1000 !!!! So keeping this one is worth it. :slight_smile: 

darth

No, the power from the VGA connector will not run the screen. As Stephanius pointed out, this is not a simple thing to do. Why not try this- only a little over £500, Sony and 1,600x1,200 as well as 20" :cool:

kee-lo_

WOW thats going to be some mamouth task!

BTW it's shocking how many GRX316MP's have died. Makes me feel VER VERY LUCKY mine still works. I pray to the Sony gods to keep it functioning....

Woodenhorse
Visitor

Do you know what exactly is dead, mobo,cpu,psu?
Have you Contacted Vaio to give you a quote on repair costs, might work out better if you are willing spend of course.
Or keep an eye on Ebay for Parts.

darth
Visitor

Thanks Dave, Nice looking monitor. Funny thing is, I was trawling through Dabs just the other day and could only find 'cinema' style monitors to go near that res. Great that they do 1900 x 1200 but at £1100 to £1200 I'd rather go for the original cinema screen, made of course by Apple at £1000. But that Sony looks nice... :slight_smile:

darth

tellingd
Visitor

Glad I could help :slight_smile:

Do you really need 1,600 x 1,200? You can pick up 1,024 x 768 quite cheaply these days. Just a thought.

kee-lo_

Maybe 2x1024x768 screens?