Join now - be part of our community!

Firewire cables, compatibility

jimhoyle
Visitor

Firewire cables, compatibility

I've had some problems connecting different equipment to VAIO via firewire with this one cable (I have only two so I didn't have so much variety to choose from). Basically it just doesn't connect at all (well, I can get some lifesign, a sound notice, after rebooting and then removing the cable). On my desktop computer it connects ok.

According to this: < http://kb.sony-europe.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=73,E=0000000000021071464,K=3067,Sxi=0,Case=o...) >
the problem is an incompatible firewire cable. The non-working cable is bought many years ago, when the standard was very new. Now, my question is, what kind of experience do you have with firewire-cables, are they really incompatible sometimes and what kind of cables should I get (I probably won't find those i.LINK cables)? Maybe new ones work better than older "models"? Or is it VAIO that is incompatible, not the cable?

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

I've never had a problem with any of the firewire cables I've used, even the cheap ones supplied with drive bays have always worked fine. When I buy cables separately, I buy Belkin

jimhoyle
Visitor

I now went to the store to try their cables and still this Lacie external hard drive just doesn't work at all. I've also had some problems with firewire network and DV-camera, but at least they usually successfully connect.

Now, probably either there is a compatibility problem between Lacie and Vaio or my firewire port is just somehow broken on the Vaio. Any ideas welcome.

kee-lo_

Hi

Thats not a problem with the cabloes, I had nothing but trouble with Lacie and my VAIO, had to sell it in the end.

Funny thing is it worked fine with my friend's desktop

jimhoyle
Visitor

Now that I tried it a bit more I realized that I do have a problem with connection from Sony DV cam to Vaio S400 port also. It just doesn't connect reliably, and if I pull the connector towards up a bit on the Vaio end, it'll make the dingdong sound and connect better. So, this indicates that there is a problem with the connector too.

Now, does this mean I have to buy those i.Link cables? Will they help? Where can I get one cheap (I live in Finland)?

kee-lo_

Sounds like the connector has become faulty. If you're under warranty I'd have it looked at.

As for iLink cables - the closest is http://www.kelkoo.se/

Stephanius
Visitor

Firewire and i.link are just names for IEEE1394. Where you buy your cables from and what the package says is irrelevant as long as the cables themselves are ok. The reason they recommend Sony cables is that they know these have sufficient quality.

I never had a problem with i.link cables, no matter if original Sony or not. Just watch out for 4pin or 6pin connectors, get cables that match your devices connectors. The differnce is the 6pin connectors do supply power as well, the 4pin connectors only data.

If you move the cable and that affects the result, your connector is almost for sure broken. If you are still under warranty or not is not relevant, since this is considered physical damage. Typically that happens when people stumble over cables.

kee-lo_

If you are still under warranty or not is not relevant, since this is considered physical damage. Typically that happens when people stumble over cables.

Ouch

Probably best to get a PCMCIA card then, then you have 6pin

jimhoyle
Visitor

Yeah, I agree - Ouch.. I don't remember stumbling on it. However, the firewire cable has been hanging there for quite some time, that must've done the trick. (The VAIO is on a chair and the cable was hanging without support.) Very nasty. Oh well.

jimhoyle
Visitor

One more update about this.. I called the phone support and they admitted the cable won't make a difference. And that the broken port may or may not go under warranty. The cost would get crazy if it didn't go under warranty. I'll just grab a cheap PCMCIA-firewire card I guess.