Join now - be part of our community!

Any problems removing D: partition?

profile.country.en_GB.title
machamp28
Visitor

Any problems removing D: partition?

For some reason my new sz3 has its hard drive partitioned into 2 drives (plus the hidden recovery drive).

Is there any reason to keep the d: partition? I want to remove it and add the space to the C: drive using disk management tools in control panel but wanted to check that nothing else needed to be changed.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi mchampness,

Welcome to Club vaio, :slight_smile:

There are benefits to be gained in having a partitioned drive..

For example if you store your personal data, pictures, etc. on the D drive and a problem occurs with the operating system, the C drive can just be recovered, by following this guide, therefore hopefully, leaving your personal files on the D drive intact.. :wink:

machamp28
Visitor

Thanks but I back up personal data to a network drive so that's not a problem.

I am worried that in a year or so's time it will just get in the way on some program install and would prefer to get rid of it now rather than having to resize partitions when both have data on them.

The VAIO doesn't in any case automatically store data on 😧 - the My Documents file appears to be on the c: partition.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

The VAIO doesn't in any case automatically store data on 😧 - the My Documents file appears to be on the c: partition.

Hi mchampness,

True My Documents is stored on the C drive by default but it can moved by following this guide ..

You can resize or remove the D partition buy either using a third party program such as Paragon's Partition Manager or by using Sony's Recovery Utility selecting C: & 😧 Drive Recovery (change Partition sizes when you reach point 10, note then if you use the Sony Utility all the files and programs on the C & D drive will be deleted before the original operating system and programs are restored.. :wink:

It would be a good idea to create a couple recovery disc sets before you make any changes..

Seawit
Visitor

Specially on computers that have access to a network it is highly advisable to have at least two partitions. This way u can always recover back the system partition without having the others affected. And it is safer to choose to share partitions except the one with the OS. To me, a perfect setting is to to have three: one for the OS, one for the important data and another to share with the network. It is a matter of choice but i highly recommend it. :slight_smile:

kee-lo_

Totally agree with Thalamus and Seawit