Join now - be part of our community!

AR21S Blu-ray Laptop Drive Dead?

Umberty
Visitor

AR21S Blu-ray Laptop Drive Dead?

Hi

I hope someone can help, I have an AR21S Blu-ray laptop and have been very happy with :slight_smile: So pleased I also recommended it to my brother, he has had it less than a week and all of a sudden the blu-ray seems to have died! :(((

The Blu-ray drive now no longer shows up in My Computer and also isn't listed in the device manager at all. It whirrrs and clunks when a disc is put in it but nothing happens after that. All the latest updates had been downloaded and installed OK, including the firmware update for the Blu-ray drive but these had been done on day one and it had been working fine afterwards.

Anyone else had this happen to them and is it correctable or is it going to have to be returned?

Thanks... 😞

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Umberty,

If the drive does not show up in Device Manager then it is either dead or a cable has become detatched.

I would contact Vaio-Link as I think it will need replacing.

:cry:

Umberty
Visitor

😞 Will do, thanks for the reply. 😞

Umberty
Visitor

Problem solved! :slight_smile:

All the diagnosing had been done over the phone with my brother and he had neglected to tell me that there was yellow question mark on the Primary IDE Channel. Then it all clicked...

On Wednesday doing this months Windows Updates there was 1 hardware update for the VIA controller, which I thought was odd as it hadn't showed up on my AR21S but thought nothing of it. Rolling back the driver for the Primary IDE Controller re-installs the original Microsoft one and hay presto it's all back to normal and working fine. :slight_smile: As he hadn't used the Blu-ray drive since then he hadn't noticed it wasn't working before.

Running Windows Update now doesn't show the hardware update on his machine. Odd that it was listed, is that a Microsoft Update oddity in recognising a wrong update for a device? It would of been a nasty problem I guess if it had been the RAID controller driver, presumably then it wouldn't have been able to start Windows properly?