Join now - be part of our community!

AR21S Line noise on Headphone port

nickylang
Visitor

AR21S Line noise on Headphone port

Has anyone else noticed line noise on the AR21S's headphone port (especially when the hard disk is spinning). It's a whine rather than a hum.

It seems like a very poor quality signal and I wondered if it's just my machine?

Swapping back to my HP pavillion and the sound quality is perfect.

Any ideas?

5 REPLIES 5
vincefer
Visitor

A month ago whe I had a AR21S I could also hear noise on the head fones when using the touch pad. When moving the pointer over the screen or when moving windows, scrolling,... I don't know if it is related.

Regards.

Dekesh
Visitor

i think most laptops face this problem. the problem is something called a ground loop. if u run on battery u will find the hum/whine disappears totally and on my laptop (AR11M) i notice that if i close the laptop lid then the hum/whine is reduced quite a bit. maybe something u mite like to try and post the results.

Ninja_Freak
Visitor

Hi,

I just purchased my VGN-C1Z. I hooked it up to my telly and was watching a movie with the Mrs. I too experienced this issue but only when I feed the audio through my telly or stereo. Headphones are fine.

this is seriously annoying as it works fine when it's not plugged in. Isn't there anything that we can do about this?

NF

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

It is probably caused by interference.

Try better quality screened cables and it it persists, have a word with Vaio-Link support as the internal screening may be at fault.

:slight_frown:

nickylang
Visitor

Thanks for the responses.

Since I'm plugging my headphones in direct, using screened cables is not really an option. (They are Bose QC2 which normally have decent sound quality. If it is interference, it's not external since they work fine with my HP)

I will contact support to see if the internal screening has a problem.

Cheers,
Nicky