Join now - be part of our community!

Help! Problem with Dvd-ram matshita uj-850s!

starsky84
Visitor

Help! Problem with Dvd-ram matshita uj-850s!

Hi!
I have a problem with my optical drive, this morning I turned on my notebook and inserted a cd-rom which contains programs but the optical drive didn't want to recognize any cd-rom... i tryed with another cd-roms but no answer, it looked like the optical drive didn't want to read any cd..... no problem with dvds, I thought I had to reinstall the drivers and was about to search them on the internet but, I don't know why, after 2 hrs it started by itself to read again my cds! Why?? Is the problem in the hardware? What if the optical drive refuses again to read my cd-roms? My fear is that I will have to face the problem again!
Is there anybody to explain to me why 3 hours ago my optical drive didn't let me to read my cd-roms, and now it perfectly read all of them?? :slight_frown:
Please, help me to understand!
Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

There could be lots of causes such as a software conflict but the most likely is that the read head in your optical drive got stuck and could not move far enough to read the CD leader track. The DVD track is in a different position on the disc.

Open the drive and check the head slides freely for the whole distance of its travel - particularly to the inner and outer limits.

:thinking:

starsky84
Visitor

Thanks for your help! No clue of the problem at this moment, I checked the read head and it seems like it can move freely for the whole distance of its travel, I'm not expert at computer engeneering but I don't think it is stuck... i just tried to move it for the whole distance like you said but it looks perfect... I also read that nero could be in conflict with roxio... is that true? Thanks a lot for your help!

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Yes, too many burning programs can conflict as they each try to impose different settings for your drive.

However, I think the drive would stop working altogether if you had a serious conflict. Roxio is known to cause conflicts with other burning software and unless you use it a lot, it is better uninstalled.

:thinking:

starsky84
Visitor

I have uninstalled roxio, so I hope my optical drive will be ok ... I haven't had any troubles since yesterday... thanks! :slight_smile: