Join now - be part of our community!

AR21S Screen

gbh
Visitor

AR21S Screen

This is my 3rd laptop from Sony and possibly the worst screen I have ever had, it is grainy and dull with a brown haze, it has a shadow effect to the sides in that the only bright part is the centre portion you are viewing if you move your head across the screen it follows you . It has been returned to Sony who maintain that it is within acceptable limits whatever that means. The Sony store agree with me that it is not as good as the AR11M or any other Sony laptop. Does anyone else have the same problem.

30 REPLIES 30
Zagster
Visitor

I wish we had someone on Sony's staff to comment on this... Acquiring the AR21S is considered by some of us as a big investment and we'd like to know whether its production is discontinued due to inherent issues. I still see them being sold by Sony Style and online shops.

Stam

profile.country.en_GB.title
koymik
New

My sister bought an AR21S a month ago( if im not mistaken) She wants to impressed me of all the new features her machine has(very expensive too)..but when we compared the screen with a hd dvd playing, she was very disappointed coz, my screen was so much clearer/sharper than her's, and I cant stop laughing..
What im trying to say is that the Xblack screen of the older VAIOs are far much better than that of AR21s.. :slight_smile:

gbh
Visitor

Sony UK have now replaced my unit with the faulty pixels, it had many by the time I had returned it, they have been very helpful and even arranged for the original shop to let me have a new unit rather than wait for a replacement unit from Belgium.
My faith in Sony has been restored and although I do still believe that the screen is not the best Sony has produced I have to accept it, next time though I will make sure I view the screen working before I commit to purchasing a laptop.

koymik
New

Sony UK have now replaced my unit with the faulty pixels, it had many by the time I had returned it, they have been very helpful and even arranged for the original shop to let me have a new unit rather than wait for a replacement unit from Belgium.
My faith in Sony has been restored and although I do still believe that the screen is not the best Sony has produced I have to accept it, next time though I will make sure I view the screen working before I commit to purchasing a laptop.

Its Good to hear that :smileygrin:
AR21S to me even with a not so good screen, still one of the best laptop though :wink:

PFJ
Visitor

I've been looking into getting one of these, primarily because of the big hard drive....Which a lot of Vaio's fail to have. But after using it in work (we sell Vaio) I'm not impressed with it at all....Too big, too bulky, heavy and ridiculously priced.

I don't get this whole Blu-Ray thing. How much more clearer cant a DVD picture get for god sake. Not much in my opinion

Vas
Visitor

I don't get this whole Blu-Ray thing. How much more clearer cant a DVD picture get for god s**e. Not much in my opinion

1.The Blu-Ray Picture only makes a diffrence when you watch it on big TV 32" and above.
Edit: Using the HDMI out put on the AR21S

2.Or if you want to back-up data/Video/audio up to 50GB onto one disc.

I wish the Blu-Ray drive worked as it was intended on these machines. :slight_frown:

kee-lo_

I wish the Blu-Ray drive worked as it was intended on these machines. :slight_frown:

Couldn't agree more Vas

Devilstator
Visitor

is the vaio logo at the bottom of the screen suposed to stay lit up on the ar21s. Coz i noticed it was lit up when i bought it, but it seems to be constantly off now.

Is there a way i can turn the logo back on?

I have only had the laptop for a couple of weeks, and so i want to know if this is a fault with the laptop, before it is over a month old.

Thx for any help

gbh
Visitor

if you go into the the Vaio control centre accessed in control panel in the 'display' section there is control for the logo lamp to turn on or off.

budgetmil
Visitor

It would be nice to have an explanation from Sony on this subject. Did they use 2 different screen models for the AR21s (mine is wonderful) ? Did they receive a batch of bad screens from the manufacturer, which caused problems on x machines ?

Generally speaking, this forum is good but it would be great to have a kind of "official" Sony interlocutor to give their point of view on the various subjects (Screen problems, BR/DVD/CD problems, etc.)