Join now - be part of our community!

AR51M - how to set RAID array?

Bartes
Visitor

AR51M - how to set RAID array?

Hi,

Just got my new AR51M notebook with two 160GB HDD's. Some internet shops claims that the computer supports RAID 0 and RAID 1. I have no experience with settings raid arrays, can anybody briefly explain to me how to deal with that?

Bart

9 REPLIES 9
broochie
Visitor

Greetings Bart, & welcome to Club Vaio :smileygrin: .

I hope u are familiar with RAID & possibly u would have weighed out the advantages/disadvantages of RAID0 & RAID1.

I'll juss point to u where u can get the setting. Switch your new VAIO on, & hit F2 to go into ur BIOS, go to the advanced tab & locate RAID configuration, it will say hide(by default) but select show, save the changes & exit the BIOS.
As it boots you can hit "CTRL & I" to enter the raid configuration......... :smileygrin:

Bartes
Visitor

I hope u are familiar with RAID & possibly u would have weighed out the advantages/disadvantages of RAID0 & RAID1.

I'll juss point to u where u can get the setting. Switch your new VAIO on, & hit F2 to go into ur BIOS, go to the advanced tab & locate RAID configuration, it will say hide(by default) but select show, save the changes & exit the BIOS.
As it boots you can hit "CTRL & I" to enter the raid configuration......... :smileygrin:

I'm aware of all pros and cons of the raid arrays, red a lot about them, just never tried to set one by myself. The hdd speed is killing me, so i thinking of trying raid 0 configuration. I backup most important data anyway, so if the raid got broken, it wont hurt that much anyway.

The most difficult task still ahead of me, i cant stand that Vista thing, and going to downgrade to XP.

thanks awfully! :wink:

iziizi
Visitor

I'm aware of all pros and cons of the raid arrays, red a lot about them, just never tried to set one by myself. The hdd speed is killing me, so i thinking of trying raid 0 configuration. I backup most important data anyway, so if the raid got broken, it wont hurt that much anyway.

The most difficult task still ahead of me, i cant stand that Vista thing, and going to downgrade to XP.

thanks awfully! :wink:

I dont think this model has raid... I just looked in bios and the option is not there?

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I dont think this model has raid... 

You appear to be correct iziizi, there is no mention of RAID in the AR51M's specifications, you can use the following link to view the: AR51M's specifications

broochie
Visitor

I dont think this model has raid... I just looked in bios and the option is not there?

Wow... Seems a lot has changed since the AR31S days....
:anguished:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Wow... Seems a lot has changed since the AR31S days....
:anguished:

Not really the AR51SU has RAID.. :thinking:

Bartes
Visitor

Thats's right, AR51M doesnt suppert RAID. Too bad, some of the internet sellers provide false information then.

Thats even more motivating to install XP. Unfortunately, Windows installer doesnt see any HDD, now thats my concern, but i've seen solution somewhere at the forum

Thanks everybody

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion
iziizi
Visitor

Yeah i am pretty peed off having bought this 51m, I thought it had raid and doesnt.

I know that its supported just sony have decided not to turn it on in bios which is annoying. Maybe they will release bios update and turn it on for us.