Join now - be part of our community!

Auto/remote turn on/off

mattbees
Visitor

Auto/remote turn on/off

Is it possible to set my laptop to turn itselft on at a given time, or to turn it on from a remote location? I remember ages ago I knew someone who set their PC up to turn itself on and update itselft while he was at work and then shut itself down again when it finished updating. I dont necessarily want it to run updates but it would be dead handy if it could turn itself on and do various things while im away.

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
LEE
Visitor

Had a quick look MattBees,

If you go into control Panel, click on, (Performance and Maintenence), then, (power Options), there does seem to be some options there, but not sure if they cover everything youre wanting to do. There's also the scheduled tasks feature in the performence and maintenece section, never used it myself but it looks like it could be a posssibility.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

These might help you.

feederfan
Visitor

i dont think you can use a piece of software to turn your computer on when its off as the software would need to be active, in RAM and the proccesor would need to be on, obviously if the computer is off, the Processor would be off and the RAM would be wiped. You might be able to wake it up from standby though?

kee-lo_

It needs to be in standby.
Gigapocket can do it

mattbees
Visitor

what if it was a remote computer on the network turning it on and off? is that possible?

kee-lo_

It's possible, but I wouldn't know what or where to point you for advise.

feederfan
Visitor

I think its possible but your system has to be on standby, which means that it is still 'on' just not booted up.

kee-lo_

Doesn't use much power in standby

feederfan
Visitor

Yeah but its not practical to keep it on standby if you are running on batteries!