Join now - be part of our community!

B1VP hard drive capacity

DeeksJames
Visitor

B1VP hard drive capacity

Hey just wondering if any one knew how to delete the recovery space so it can be used. have already written the discs and there was no option to to delete it.

Cheers

8 REPLIES 8
feederfan
Visitor

This has been answered before, but what you need to do is use the discs to recover your computer, then you have the option of deleting the partition. Unless you use a DOS tool like partition magic you wont be able to delete a partition that contains data through windows.

DeeksJames
Visitor

HI
On your advice i started up the vaio recovery utility and chose the option that would allow me to change the partition sizes. After going through each option it appears that none of them allow me to create a disk with only C and D and without a recovery partion.

My dad, a Computer consultant, tells me that the Xp disc manager can normally delete partitions but sony have created this protected partition that it cannot deleteand that in the circumstances sony should provide a tool to delete this partition.

Currently i feel that this laptop has been mis-represented as it only gives 30Gb of useable disc space.

feederfan
Visitor

No, u need to create the recovery discs, then boot your computer from disc one. This will give you the option to change your partition size. It defintily does because i have deleted my recovery partition!

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Your dad is right, Sony have made it so you have to have C and D, which is a real pain.

hlinh85
Visitor

Do we really need this recovery? It took a lot of space.

TygerTyger
Visitor

Some people might. The vast majority don't, nor do they need to recovery their computers just to get rid of it.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Most people should make a few copies of the recovery disk in case it goes wrong.

Then if they feel brave they should use something like Partition Magic.

TygerTyger
Visitor

I'll give that a go when I find some freeware that will copy my entire hard drive to another computer for backup.