Join now - be part of our community!

Volume

Middis
Visitor

Volume

I think overall the Pocket Vaio Music player is one of the best MP3 players on the market, however I am a bit dissapointed with amount of volume - or lack of it. Most of my listening has to be done with the volume control near maximum.
Be interested to hear if you have the same problem & if there is anything that can be done to improve this important feature on the machine.
A friend told me that all MP3 players sold in the EU have to have some sort of volume limiters installed, but aparantly these can be turned off or removed quite easilly if you know how. Would welcome any comments/suggestions. Thanks.
P.S. I am aware of the AVLS system, but even with that switched off I don't think the volume is that good.

10 REPLIES 10
kadafi
Visitor

Try new earphones... the volume issue depends on your earphones, and I've seen in a thread somewhere that the Sony is as loud as the I-River I-H20, which are just about as loud as it gets..

I've had a Philips HDD-100 which had an output of 7W x 2.. The Sony is much much louder than that jukebox.. no comparism, I'm guessing it's at least 20W x 2, though sony didn't release the actual specs..

My advice? Get the Sony MDR-EX71SL in-ear buds, Sennheisser MX-550, or if you want to get extreme, the Skull-Candys! Then come back and post your opinion on the volume then..

BTW also adjust the equalizer settings on Vaio Pocket, as that augments the Sound level as well.

:wink:

profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

There's no way the Vaio Pocket has a max 20W * 2 output level. That's an output comparable to some mains powered amps.

kadafi
Visitor

There's no way the Vaio Pocket has a max 20W * 2 output level.  That's an output comparable to some mains powered amps.

Wanna bet? The I-River's got an out of 20W x 2. I'll get one to compare the volumes side by side..

Besides if my in-ear buds can handle a max of 200W input, and are meant for portable players, the hell a jukebox can have that output!

I could bring specs to prove that, but that's not what this thread's about..

robpaxton
Explorer

Merely pointing out a factual error in your post . . . . and the error remains. Don't want to get into an argument about it.

FYI - iRiver spec below:

Audio Frequency Range 20Hz~20kHz
Headphone Output Power 20mW(R) + 20mW(L) (16¿) at Max. Volume
S/N Ratio 90dB; A weighted
Frequency Characteristics ± 3dB
No. Channels Stereo (L+R)

Thats 20mW per channel.

kadafi
Visitor

Merely pointing out a factual error in your post . . . . and the error remains.  Don't want to get into an argument about it.

I get it... that's meant to be 20mW x 2 (not 20W x 2).. it was an error, I'm sorry.

:slight_frown:

Thanks Rob

robpaxton
Explorer

No problem :wink:

AlanHudson
Visitor

Interestingly, there's been a hack available for some time for European iPod users who bemoan the volume cap instigated by some nameless bureacrat in Brussels:smileywink:

It's called euPod VolumeBoost, and is available for download from here. And, what's more,it really does work
:smileygrin:

Middis
Visitor

Interestingly, there's been a hack available for some time for European iPod users who bemoan the volume cap instigated by some nameless bureacrat in Brussels:smileywink: 

It's called euPod VolumeBoost, and is available for download from here. And, what's more,it really does work
:smileygrin:
Thanks Alan. Does it work with the Pocket Vaio? Have you installed it on yours?

@4967457401015621
Visitor

on my ipod i just downloaded the us firmware, no restrictions on that, seemed to make an improvement. but no, it won't work on the vaio pocket if it's a firmware update (which i think it is). you could try the us firmware (not sure i'd recommend this, a lot of people seem to have had difficulties with vaio pockets using software from a different region) or run all your mp3s thorugh mp3gain (can't remember the address but it's not hard to find), assuming you're using mp3s. all it does is boost the volume of the mp3s instead.