Join now - be part of our community!

BATTERY DISCHARGES ON A SERIES WHILST TURNED OFF! HELP!

mossupp
Visitor

BATTERY DISCHARGES ON A SERIES WHILST TURNED OFF! HELP!

IVE RECENTLY PURCHASE AN A317M.
MY BATTERY APPEARS TO LOSE CHARGE EVEN WHEN SWITCHED OFF.
IS THIS NORMAL?
OR IS SOMETHING WORNG?

46 REPLIES 46
profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

Is the VAIO really off or only in standby?

mossupp
Visitor

IT IS DEFINITELY TURNED OFF

mvanwambeke
Visitor

The best way to test it is
Fully charge the computer ( overnight )
Take out the battery , leave it for one day , put it in again and check if there is a significant discharge.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Thats normal if you're not plugged into the mains

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Hang on a minute - thats NOT normal. A battery in a laptop should not discharge itself automatically when it is switched off...

If mvanwambeke's advice does not do the trick, report the problem to VAIO-Link as you have a faulty battery bay.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

No James it's very gradual

For example the GRX, I have not got it plugged in the mains since last Friday, but if I turn it on now on AC there's going to be an 85% battery level

seb21__
Visitor

Mmmh, I know this problem from the died Batteries of my portable CD Player. 2 hours and these things are empty. Uninteresting whether the CD player is ON or OFF.

seb21__
Visitor

For example the GRX, I have not got it plugged in the mains since last Friday, but if I turn it on now on AC there's going to be an 85% battery level

That's true. But that's not discharging. The batteries have lost a part of the full capacity. That's the reason why the Battery has only 85% if you start your laptop. With MobileMeter you can check how much capacity the battery has lost.

It's 13% on my laptop.

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Right so 13% would be normal nominal loss, but anything more than 30% would be highly questionable behaviour.