Join now - be part of our community!

Beeping Buttons

mjmccaff
Visitor

Beeping Buttons

Hi All,

I just bought a VGN-TX3XP and it's a great little laptop but there's a minor annoyance I'd like help with: Whenever one of the extra buttons is pressed (Volume +/-, Play, etc) the laptop makes a loud beep.
Is there any way to switch this off?

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi mjmccaff

Welcome to Club Vaio, :slight_smile:

I found this solution below (in Blue) in an American forum, not sure if it will work on a European model.. :thinking:

Go to Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs. Find "VAIO Event Service" and click Change/Remove. Once the installer pops up, choose to Modify (NOT remove!) the package. When the list of components appears, uncheck the Sound checkbox and proceed through the installation.

That should remove the sound effects...

Please let me know if it works.. :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

If that doesn’t work then locate the file pi.wav and then either rename, move or delete.

This can be found in a subfolder of C:\Program Files\Sony, either Hotkey Utility or Event Service. Or just do a search...

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
skykit84
New

Hi mjmccaff 

Welcome to Club Vaio, :slight_smile:

I found this solution below (in Blue) in an American forum, not sure if it will work on a European model.. :thinking:

Go to Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs. Find "VAIO Event Service" and click Change/Remove. Once the installer pops up, choose to Modify (NOT remove!) the package. When the list of components appears, uncheck the Sound checkbox and proceed through the installation.

That should remove the sound effects...

Please let me know if it works.. :slight_smile:

Just tried it and it works great! Glad someone asked this as it was getting very annoying in lectures!

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

:cool: You're welcome Akash84.. :slight_smile:

mjmccaff
Visitor

Wow, now that's what I call service...

Thalamus - thanks for the welcome, it's great to be here :slight_smile:

I tried modifying the Event Service as suggested, unticked the sound box and the service duly restarted but the beeping persisted even after a reboot.

However, I then found and renamed pi.wav and now the buttons are silent - cheers Rich (you were right, it's in Vaio Event Service)

Thanks a lot guys - I like my Vaio even more now :clap:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

No problem mjmccaff :slight_smile:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat