Join now - be part of our community!

Bios...boot from USB

profile.country.en_GB.title
JohnHarrison1983
Visitor

Bios...boot from USB

Is it possible to for my sony vaio fs115b to boot from a USB flash drive.
I cant seem to see any setting in the BIOS, all thats there is Optical Drive, Harddrive, network, floppy. I have the latest BIOS version but would of persumed this option should be availiable seeing as all my other computers can.

Cheers.

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
clash-city-rocker

I found the same with my FS-295XP, it's not there, and VERY suprising, that in 2005, a new PC is not capable of booting from a USB flash drive. This is a major pain in the butt for me, as I use it to make ghost backup and run some other non XP tools. Having to burn them to CDR, and having the boot device as readonly is a major disadvantage.

Come on Sony, please listen to your users, and add this capability. I'm sure the BIOS vendor (Pheonix) provide this, but Sony had locked out this functionality (so they can sell up USB floppy drives...).

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

I think it's possible. But Sony has locked all useful things in BIOS. So you can't do it.

JohnHarrison1983
Visitor

I think it's possible. But Sony has locked all useful things in BIOS. So you can't do it.

why are they locking it out? that sucks.

i agree with mgillespie and im in the same situation as him...
theres probley some hacked bios on the net thats unlocked it...im going to see if I can find it.

:smileygrin:

seb21__
Visitor

I think they want prevent user for doing silly things. But they forget that there are users with more pc experience too.

JohnHarrison1983
Visitor

couldnt find any way to unlock it so im going to send an e-support message to sony...

seb21__
Visitor

good luck, I have done the same in february this year. Without luck

kee-lo_

I'd love USB booting too

JohnHarrison1983
Visitor

Just got a response from the support team..not good news
*** NOTES 22-Sep-2005 Action Type: Info
Dear Jak,
Thank you for contacting us, Please be advised that you cannot boot from a usb flash drive.The usb device does not become active until windows , so unfortunetly this is not an option

thats not true...is it? about becoming active until windows.
ive tried pluggin in a keyboard into a usb slot and it worked fine when in the bios...so the usb slots do work before windows

seb21__
Visitor

Hehe, priceless.:smileygrin: