Join now - be part of our community!

wireless broadband

ant1uk
Visitor

wireless broadband

hi i am thinking of upgrading to broadband from dial-up. i have done some homework and relise i need a wireless modem router fro my two computers to use wireless. does anyone know a good one to buy, there are so many different makes which do you suggest please, also is the provider tiscali anygood they are doing some cheap deals unlimited downloads at 2 meg for £17.99 a month

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

This is the one I have, it's great

Tiscali are OK, my uncle has it
Personally I prefer PIPEX

ant1uk
Visitor

thanks Kee-lo, that seems like a good one to go for, i will probably buy that one,

cheers

js77
Visitor

I too have the Netgear DG834G and even with VERY little knowledge got network up fairly painlessly. Just have to sort out file/printer sharing now. however I think most of my difficulties are because I have 98se PC and XP laptop.

BTW when I bought my router from Amazon a few weeks ago I got a free WG111 USB adapter - brilliant, but don't know if offer is still on.

Jim

MikeTJGuy
Visitor

Tiscali are rubbish. Dont you dare go with them or face the greatest pain you will ever endure.

Bulldog are just as bad. And BT have limits on downloading.

To be honest I hate AOL but atleast they care about their customers and will do anything to keep getting your money. So i will say go for AOL.

You pay a little more but one rule that i have learnt well "You Get What You Pay For"

Twisted-Rizla
Visitor

You pay a little more but one rule that i have learnt well "You Get What You Pay For"

Yup. Buy cheap buy twice.

I use Virgin and have had no problems at all. Bit more money than some of the others but as Mike says "you get what you pay for".

ant1uk
Visitor

i know people that have got AOL, tescali and BT, but i just cant believe how much the difference in cost between them all they all limit your downloads which is mad your paying alot of money and they still limit, so if you want more limits to download you have to pay £30 +

TygerTyger
Visitor

I use Nildram. Service is excellent, bandwidth cap is 50Gb/month and uncapped from midnight to 8am and unused bandwidth is added to the following month's allownace which is a great deal better than most. It's £28 a month though, not cheap at all. Have a look at Demon Internet, they are £20 a month and entirely uncapped unless you're using a disgraceful amount of bandwidth in which case they throw you out :smileygrin:

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Hahaha And what would you call a disgraceful amount of bandwidth then?:smileylaugh:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

PIPEX are like that TT, they have traffic management, but thats BT's fault

50GB a month is quite a lot though