Join now - be part of our community!

bios or windows problem?

maxbass
Visitor

bios or windows problem?

hello to all, i hope that someone help me!
i bought three day ago a sony vaio pcg-k315s and i made the upgrade to the bios (r105x3) but now i can't use the fn+(f2 etc) the brightness of lcd, see the icon of battery, volume etc. the pc is not working as good.
sorry for my bad english!

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

That is a software problem. If the PC is new and you haven't installed too much then it's probably easier to perform a full recovery.

If you don't want to do that then install the Sony Shared Libraries and Sony Utilities. That should repair the hotkey problem.

maxbass
Visitor

thanks rob, now the fn keys works fine! you are an expert! so, can you help me for the volume, batteries management indicator close to the clock? in the devices setup the selection "show icon..." is checked, but after reboot there aren't the icons!
max

kee-lo_

This is a common Windows problem with the battery which hasn't been fixed by MS

robpaxton
Explorer

Also right click the taskbar, left click properties and make sure that 'hide inactive icons' is not selected.

maxbass
Visitor

the hide inactive icons is not selected.. i think about an upgrade from win xp home to win xp professional...
what do we thinks about?

robpaxton
Explorer

Changing from XP Home to Pro will pobably not help, but will almost certainly give you more problems.

TygerTyger
Visitor

It will not make any difference I'm afraid, and will probably cause you a world of trouble in the end as Sony do not support XP Pro.

kee-lo_

The guys are right, upgrading will not help. Microsoft have messed it up on both editions.