Join now - be part of our community!

How long is a laptop designed to be left on?

shenyap
Visitor

How long is a laptop designed to be left on?

Hi all, hope you are all enjoying your Vaios. I am interested to know how long a laptop can be left running. I also wonder if laptops have a run-in period. Who knows please?

Just curious.

Regards
Shen

23 REPLIES 23
Woody27
Visitor

Shenyap,

As far as I know a laptop can be left on as long as you like (we have some at work that have been on for years... ...literally!). However, the longevity of laptops seems to vary widley. I thing some of it is just luck, some keep going for years, no problem! :smileygrin:

Others fail within a few months! :cry:

As for running-in, noooooo, just go for it!

CW

Foxhound
Visitor

I use my laptop as a desktop replacement which means I sometimes leave it on for days to download things.
I am on my second laptop, the first one needed to replace because I cracked the screen and not because it "died" on me.
So you can leave your laptop on with out worring to much.

JohnRatsey
Visitor

A laptop left running on a desk is likely to last longer than one that is frequently opened and shut, disconnected, put in a bag, carried around, etc.., with one possible exception - the fan may wear out sooner.

Laptops used as portable machines tend to develop problems such as internal connections working loose, hinge fatigue and loose or broken sockets.

Given that a laptop consumes 10% to 20% of the electricity of a typical desktop computer, it may well prove to be cheaper overall than a desktop when purchase and running costs are combined, for situations where the equipment is left running for long periods.

John

Woody27
Visitor

John raises some good points!

I have noticed on many occasions when performing internal cleans or upgrades on laptops that frequently screws are either very loose, or simply missing!

I am sure, as John states this is to do with their constant opening and closing and general movement! A bit of a bummer for a mobile computer.

Dell laptops used to be particlarly bad (there better now)! One we had a work got a screw jammed in the cooling fan and the screen would suddenly slam shut whilst you were typing (it did amazingly still work though)!. I am afraid to say the VAIOs are only slightly better! :slight_frown:

CW

TygerTyger
Visitor

The only real restriction on leaving a laptop on is the risk of overheating. I leave mine on a lot, but I check the temperature every so often to make sure I'm not knackering my computer. It knackered anyway, but nevermind.

Anyway this program will help you keep an eye on the temperature if you are worried. The most important one is the CPU, which should absolutely not pass 75 on a laptop.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

John is right, moving it around probably causes most of the problems, accidental hits in the car, on the bus etc have effects.

I wouldn't leave mine on > 12hrs.

Pjay
Visitor

this program will help you keep an eye on the temperature if you are worried. The most important one is the CPU, which should absolutely not pass 75 on a laptop.

In that case I have problems because i just downloaded that proggie and my cpu temp is 76 to 79. I leave mine on for like 14hrs every day. Very rare It moves off the table, maybe it needs a service & Clean.

Pjay

TygerTyger
Visitor

Yeah that's a little high. I was refused permission to look at this thread (?) because it insisted I wasn't logged in, but if I remember there's a bit about cleaning out your vents in Nick Pans Cooling Guide

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Yep a clean out is probably required