Join now - be part of our community!

boot from memory stick- s5xp

daryl_mushtaq
Visitor

boot from memory stick- s5xp

hi all

popped into my local sony store yesterday. was interested in buying a 1gb sony mem stick for booting a live linux o/s from.

asked the fellow behind the counter if the s5xp supports this. as he was unsure he phoned customer support who told him to go away or ring a premium rate number as the laptop is over a year old. he understandably didn't want to do the latter.

does anyone know if i can boot from the flash drive???

if yes i will buy a lexar card rather than put any more dosh in the sony coffers.

sorry- grumpy 'cause i assumed that the premium price i paid for the s5xp was to cover style and customer support- silly me- o well back to hp when upgrade time comes along.

tnx in advance

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi daryl,

Unfortunately you can't boot from a memory stick as this option is not available in the BIOS.. :slight_frown:

skykit84
New

Still, have to state that this is disgusting service
It's like another meaning of that message they say about dogs...
" A Sony is for Christmas NOT for life"

I'd have kicked a fuss and made sure he either rang the premium number (not yours or his problem) or pointed you into the right direction.

daryl_mushtaq
Visitor

thanks Thalamus- saved me wasting money on a memory stick that would have probably been to high capacity to even use in my old net walkman.- cant face the idea of contacting the net walkman customer services to find out what the max supported capacity is.

still- extremely disappointed by sony customer services- reminds me why i stopped buying their phones.

wrt new laptops, i know that Dell have improved recently- always been happy with hp- toshiba and acer are as bad as sony seem to be- any suggestions????

thanks Daryl

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

You're welcome Daryl.. :slight_smile:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I have been harping about this to Sony for years now, I asked them if we could have MS support when we boot up, yet they still say no, or maybe.

Talk about ignoring customers.