Join now - be part of our community!

BOOT UP TIME

andreanutty
Visitor

BOOT UP TIME

My Viao takes nearly 8 minutes to boot up to actually use any software or open email. Is there anything I can do to change this. I did a system restore and since it's not been the same. It's driving me mad!

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

This could be lots of things but is most likely to be your Vaio looking for invalid entries in the Registry.

Download the free 30-day trial of Tune Up Utilities from www.tuneup.com and run all the computer optimisations - specially the Registry Cleaner and Startup Manager.

It may also be worth deleting all the files in C:\Windows\prefetch - there may be old programs present.

:wink:

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to say "Welcome"!

:slight_frown:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Welcome to Club Vaio andreanutty

Also carry out a thorough scan for malware….

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi andreanutty,

Welcome to Club vaio, :slight_smile:

Also if you have a lot of programs loading at start-up, ie lot's of icon's next to the clock in the system tray, this can slow your system when booting up..

profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

Also check device manager to ensure that your hard disk controllers are operating in DMA mode.

bektase
Visitor

hi everyone

I have also same problem on FS-195VP (boot time and audial noises when playing a music file, it is slowing when reading hard disk).
I looked to my DMA mode. It is selected as "DMA if available" but it is always in "PIO mode". I couldn't fixed it, but I know hard disk is compatible with DMA mode.
Is there any update to fix this problem??
thanx.

Also check device manager to ensure that your hard disk controllers are operating in DMA mode.

jackba
Visitor

This made my FS315S to slow down when checking the HDD and at the same time made the sound slurry. The problem occurs when (description from Microsoft link given below)
"....Windows IDE/ATAPI Port driver (Atapi.sys) receives a cumulative total of six time-out or cyclical redundancy check (CRC) errors, the driver reduces the communications speed (the transfer mode) from the highest Direct Memory Access (DMA) mode to lower DMA modes in steps. If the driver continues to receive time-out or CRC errors, the driver eventually reduces the transfer mode to the slowest mode (PIO mode)."

The following workaround worked for me. Also a registry modification is given in the link for permanent results

WORKAROUND
To re-enable the typical, or faster, transfer mode for an affected device:
1.Double-click Administrative Tools, and then click Computer Management.
2.Click System Tools, and then click Device Manager.
3.Expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers node.
4.Double-click the controller for which you want to restore the typical DMA transfer mode.
5.Click the Driver tab.
6.Click Uninstall.
7.When the process completes, restart your computer. When Windows restarts, the hard disk controller is re-enumerated and the transfer mode is reset to the default value for each device that is connected to the controller.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817472/

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I usually find that Windows gets slower as it ages, so I reformat every so often and put my image back on