Join now - be part of our community!

Both shift keys on my sony vaio FZ19VN have stopped working properly

danny-b
Visitor

Both shift keys on my sony vaio FZ19VN have stopped working properly

Hi,

I have a new FZ19VN laptop and its less than a month old.

Today suddenly both shift keys have suddenly decided to only work intermittedly. Nothing has been spilt on the keyboard and to be honest the machine has hardly been used. I am running vista business and up until today everything has been working just fine.

The company I brought it from have been less than useful so I was wondering if anyone out there has had a similar problem/fix?

This issue is starting to drive me nuts.

Any help would be great.

Kind Regards

Danny

16 REPLIES 16
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi danny-b and welcome to the forum.

What you describe would appear to be a hardware problem but I suggest that you try both a system restore (back to a point that the shift keys were working) and also a system recovery using either your recovery media or the hidden recovery partition (F10 at boot). Support will no doubt ask you to try both of these prior to arranging a collection of your unit.

If that fails to correct the problem then you need to open a case with Sony Support.

Best of luck.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
danny-b
Visitor

Hi and thanks for the welcome and the tips.

I have run the system restore a few times now and after the process completes it says it has failed and suggests I try it from an earlier point. I have tried it from every earlier point available yet it still comes back as failed.

Also, if I run a full system recovery will that wipe my OS? I only ask as I don't have a vista CD, only the sticker/key on the base of the machine as the company I brought this from handily don't give you a CD on delivery.

Thanks again

Danny

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Danny,

As the System Restore fails this could be another reason to try a System Recovery. There are many reasons for a failure but one is malware.

The System Recovery will format the hard drive and restore your computer to “as delivered” – OS intact, but all data wiped – so back up any important data to CD or external drive.

Assuming that you have not created your recovery media as yet now may be a good time. Have a look at this link for further guidance.

You can restore your system back to factory settings by tapping F10 at boot to access the Hidden Recovery Partition – then follow the on screen directions…

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
danny-b
Visitor

Okay Rich, thanks for this, I will give it a go now.

Thanks again

Danny

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Good luck with that Danny :four_leaf_clover:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
danny-b
Visitor

Hi Rich,

I did a full System Recovery last night and while everything is back to the factory settings sadly things with both shift keys are exactly the same :slight_frown:

Should I format the machine completely?

Or perhaps I should do a full spyware/malware scan and update first?

Cheers

Danny

danny-b
Visitor

Hi Rich,

Can you tell me how to raise a case with Vaio Support to get them to pick up/look at this unit?

Cheers

Danny

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Danny,

You can open a case with Vaio-Link by either contacting them via E-Support if you're don't have an E-support account yet then you will need to register first, here is a link to register or Phone (you can find the number HERE ) ..

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Danny,

Sorry for the late reply and thanks for covering Thalamus :slight_smile:

As you have carried out a full System Recovery this will have formated the C drive thus eliminated the malware theory. The problem is almost certainly hardware related.

Let us know how things progress with support...

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat