Join now - be part of our community!

web cam - cannot use because another program is using it

jcww_88
Visitor

web cam - cannot use because another program is using it

Hi,

I have a Sony FZ-18L laptop and having problems with the web cam. I'm trying to do video chats via MSN and Skype but whenever I turn the web cam on i.e. in MSN it says another program is using the webcam - but its not. I shut down Skype so only leave MSN running and it still says the web cam is being used and cannot start. Same message if i go into the Camera utility part.

I re-installed the camera driver and software and still does it. I have no idea what other program could be possible using my web cam - and the funny thing is, the web cam light isn't on which means its not being used.

Please can anybody help solve this?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi jcww_88 and welcome to Club Vaio.

This is a known 'User Account Control' problem on some Vaios and we have been waiting for a proper solution since Vista was launched.

There is a solution which is to disable Vista’s User Account Control – you know the thing that keeps popping up annoying messages saying “Are you sure you really want to open that program”.

However, this may make your Vaio less secure so try these two things first which do work for some users: -

1. Install Microsoft Hotfix KB931812 which is specifically for this problem. However, it will not install on everyone's vaio - particularly the newer ones.

2. The camera appears to work 'once per session' and will work with only the first application opened. You should be able to re-boot and use another application - but check Skype does not open automatically at startup and grab the camera.

If these don’t fix it the only solution I know of is to disable Vista’s UAC. I should point out that UAC is a new security feature incorporated into Vista and disabling this may make your Vaio less secure (but no less secure than XP). This has to be your choice but it will probably fix the camera!

To disable User Account Control: -

Press the Windows key on the left of your keyboard and press R

Type in the command
MSCONFIG
and press OK -> Continue.

Open the Tab “Tools” and scroll down to ‘Disable UAC’ and click Launch. At the black screen, click OK and restart your Vaio.

:wink:

jcww_88
Visitor

Hi,

Thank you very much for your help. I've tried it all but it still doesn't work. The hotfix won't apply to my computer. However i did some research on the internet and found one way to work around it and that is to go into Device Manager, disable the webcam, let the list refresh, enable the webcam again and then open up any IM programs and the camera will work for any IM programs opened - even if you have i.e. Skype and MSN opened at the same time.
Its a rather annoying way to do it, but it works....do you happen to know another? Perhaps one thats more permanent?

Thank you so much!