Join now - be part of our community!

Both shift keys on my sony vaio FZ19VN have stopped working properly

danny-b
Visitor

Both shift keys on my sony vaio FZ19VN have stopped working properly

Hi,

I have a new FZ19VN laptop and its less than a month old.

Today suddenly both shift keys have suddenly decided to only work intermittedly. Nothing has been spilt on the keyboard and to be honest the machine has hardly been used. I am running vista business and up until today everything has been working just fine.

The company I brought it from have been less than useful so I was wondering if anyone out there has had a similar problem/fix?

This issue is starting to drive me nuts.

Any help would be great.

Kind Regards

Danny

16 REPLIES 16
danny-b
Visitor

Hi and thanks to you both :slight_smile:

I registered for an e-support account and have sent them my details.

The form reported that it couldn't recognise my serial number but a representative would get back to as soon as possible. I keyed the exact serial number from the base of my machine and I also compared it to the serial number on the box - it is correct so I am not sure why it says it could not recognise it?

I registered two days ago and I have had no reply as of yet. I guess it's pretty normal to have to wait this long or?

Cheers

Danny

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Danny,

If you are still having difficulty registering a case then let us know and we will escalate this for you.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
danny-b
Visitor

Hi Rich,

Still nothing from Sony so yes I would really appreciate you escalating it for me if you can?

Many thanks (once again).

Danny

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Oddly, there has just been a similar problem - see this thread.

http://club.vaio.sony.co.uk/clubvaio/GB/en/forum/viewthread?thread=46207

Sounds like a Driver or Utility problem to me!

Have you tried booting into 'Safe Mode' and then running a System Restore?

:thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Danny,

I've never tried it but The Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator my provide you with a temporary solution..

I did a full System Recovery last night and while everything is back to the factory settings sadly things with both shift keys are exactly the same :slight_frown:  

Blencogo, danny-b mentioned that he's done a full system recovery and the problem remains, it's sounds like a it could be a hardware problem but it's very odd.. :thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Blencogo, danny-b mentioned that he's done a full system recovery and the problem remains, it's sounds like a it could be a hardware problem but it's very odd.

Thanks Thalamus - you are right, a System Restore is not going to help as there will not be any Restore Points to choose.
It could still be software - caused by a Microsoft or a Sony VAIO Update if Danny has updated after his Recovery!

:thinking:

danny-b
Visitor

Hi,

I tried the keyboard layout creator but it failed to fix my problem.

I am not sure what else to do.

I have tried to open a case with sony vaio support but they have not got back to me after nearly two weeks.

What else can I do?

Many thanks

Danny