Join now - be part of our community!

button assist won`t work

educassol
Explorer

button assist won`t work

Hi,

sorry the mistakes, I don`t speak english.

I bought 3 years ago a laptop sony VAIO model SVE1511b4e for my sister. Her friend has formated the laptop and deleted all partitions, inclusive the recovery partition.

The laptop still working with windows 7 on the old hard drive but the assist button does't work and I don`t have access to bios setup.

I bought a SSD (solid drive) but the laptop does not recognize when I try to install the windows on SSD.

I want to know how to fix the assit button and how to recognize the SSD to install the windows.

Help me please.

Thank you.

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi educassol and welcome to the forum,

In order to attain full functionality of the Assist Button a full system recovery will be needed as this will reinstate the recovery partition and all necessary utilities.to the original disk.Recovery media can usually be purchased from EET Europarts but this is not listed on their site. You will therefore need to contact Sony support for advice.

You should be able to enter the BIOS settings by pressing F2 at boot, when you see the Vaio logo. You will however find that a number of settings are unavailable, this is usual as Sony restrict access to most advanced features.

Rich

EDIT: To correct Function key required to enter BOIS setup.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
educassol
Explorer

Hi,

thank you for your reply. F10 key doesn't work. message appears on screen but not the setup.

IMG_4070.JPG

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Sorry, you missed my edit. It is the F2 key at boot.....

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
educassol
Explorer

Hi,

sorry.

the key F2 is only for boot select. I don't have another choise. I tried all F keys. I tried to press assist button, hold assist button.

thank you.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I'm not sure what the problem is as the F2 key is the correct keypress to enter BIOS setup. From the manual:

"1 Turn on the computer and press the F2 key repeatedly until the VAIO logo disappears. The BIOS setup screen appears. If the screen does not appear, restart the computer and try again."

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.DK.title
alashou
Explorer

The F keys does not work to acces BIOS in SVE Series build in 2013. Only Assist button

profile.country.DK.title
alashou
Explorer

What SSD are you using? I am asking because many users have issues with SSD espacially Samsung.

As far as i now, the is no issues with Intel and Corsair SSD

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Do I take it that this machine came pre-installed with Windows 8?

My machines all have standard HDDs, so I have no experience of SSD.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
educassol
Explorer

Hi

the SSD is a SanDisk SSD PLUS 240 GB Sata III.

But when I tried to enter in the bios, I am using the original HD but without recovery partition, only clean windows installation because the laptop still working with this HD.

thank you