Join now - be part of our community!

Buying a Type V

Kawasaki
Visitor

Buying a Type V

I am about to buy (in Japan) a new desktop and have a number of models in mind. I wonder if people would give me their opinions (postive and negative) on the Sony type V as I don't know aything about this model. It certainly looks good but what about the substance?

The one I am interested in comes with a 17inch moniter and pentium4 3.2GHz, 512mb ram and 250GB hard drive. The cost is 1050pounds sterling.

I will be using it for general office tasks plus TV capture and basic video editing

Many thanks in advance

18 REPLIES 18
hldomster
Visitor

The V series is certainly a sleek looking VAIO, and for what you want it for it appears to be a good choice. My only worry with these models is that they my be difficult to upgrade hardware, as the monitor is joined to the CPU. I'd also be worried about buying it in Japan, make sure you are getting an English version (unless you are Japanese:smileygrin: ). I'd prefer an RA3, but its very expensive, considering you have to buy the monitor separatley. I think the V3 will be more than sufficient though.

Happy VAIO:smileygrin:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Akanksha lost her optical drive within the first year.

Personally I would go with the RA series, I bet they're well priced in Japan too!

Kawasaki
Visitor

Thanks for the thoughts. I shall certainly consider the R series. I have to confess that it is primarliy the asthetic that caught my eye re the V-series.

Kee-lo is right about the prices here in Japan. After paying Sony UK prices almost everything seems like a bargain.

Stephanius
Visitor

Having a modular system that you can upgrade with standard components is a plus, and the RA gives you that, but when are you likely to upgrade? If its a year or two in the future you can almost ignore this since technology changes too fast - the new stuff will not fit anymore in your 'old' computer.

Having a build-in screen can be a benefit or a draw back, an additional screen costs money on top of the RA, while the V is all-in, but you can pick your screen.

The V3 series is compact and all inclusive, the RA has more performance, but needs more space, requires a seperate screen and is more expensive.

The real question is: what do you want? ;-]

Vas
Visitor

I am also considering the V-Series for my sister and family.
Thanks for your advice Stephanius. I did think about your points, but what I really want know is how efficient are the cordless mouse/keyboard in terms of battery
if it was possible to turn the monitor off,
the amount of heat produced etc.

Vas

Vas
Visitor

Especially the vertical Drive, is it ¿solid¿ reliable? (bearing the Vaio Service in UK in mind). :slight_frown: :cry:

Vas

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Excellent comparison there Stephanius

Vas
Visitor

Wonder why VAIO don¿t do the CD/DVD loading mechanism like the Apple iMac G5 does.
Can't remember what it's called maybe Auto loading mechanism?

Vas

Vas
Visitor

I have also been waiting for the Glossy White version (No funny comments please like you can¿etc) of the V-Series, since the V1 came out, but it seems like they are never going to be available in Europe or States. :slight_frown:

Vas