Join now - be part of our community!

Buying a Type V

Kawasaki
Visitor

Buying a Type V

I am about to buy (in Japan) a new desktop and have a number of models in mind. I wonder if people would give me their opinions (postive and negative) on the Sony type V as I don't know aything about this model. It certainly looks good but what about the substance?

The one I am interested in comes with a 17inch moniter and pentium4 3.2GHz, 512mb ram and 250GB hard drive. The cost is 1050pounds sterling.

I will be using it for general office tasks plus TV capture and basic video editing

Many thanks in advance

18 REPLIES 18
Vas
Visitor

Anyone on holiday in Japan? Maybe Kawasaki could help me.:smileygrin:

Vas

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I'd like to see a burgandy RA case

Kawasaki
Visitor

Yes the white model is here in Japan. In addition to the questions posed by Vas is the fan particularly noisy? Thanks Stephanius. Of course you are right about asking yourself 'what exactly do you want a computer for?'

Kawasaki
Visitor

Upon further investigation the model here does not come with a separate graphics card rather 96mb chipset. It is also lacks built-in wireless lan and from what I gather it is using an older pentium 4 3.2E rather than the newer 550J processor. Should I be concerned?

kee-lo_

That all depends on whether you want to use it with a wireless network?
I would personally get the one with that feature

Stephanius
Visitor

Woha, a lot of points here:

Regarding the processor: the processor type wont make a noticeable difference. 99% of all time you are using the PC the processor will be using less than 5% of its potential anyway.

Regarding fan noise: The V2 and V3 are very quiet indeed, since they have components designed for mobile use, i.e. lower power consumption and low heat production.

Regarding the batteries for the keyboard or mouse I recommend to use Duracell Ultra batteries - they always delivered significantly more porformance that means twice or thrice the lifetime of ordinary batteries in my wireless keyboards. If you dont want to rely on batteries at all, you can buy and use a USB keyboard and/or mouse.

Regarding the grahics chipset, the european versions deliver good game performance. Not as much as you can get from the RA, or as much as you can get when you are willing to build a system with a 500 to 700 euro graphics card, but enough to play and enjoy. I didnt know about a white V series in Japan and I dont know its specs, but when you see a shared memory solution its necessary to check what exactly it is. Classic shared memory solutions are weak in performance since the graphics chipset does not have wide and fast enough access to the main memory. Current shared memory solutions allow the grahpics chipset private use of one of the two memory channels, so it does not have this problem and can use the main memory as fast as it could use seperate video memory.

Regarding the optical drive: Slot-in drives look sleek, but they do have more problems than tray drives. A slot in drive has to grab the disc and move it. That sometimes results in scratches. Also the drives logically have problems with shaped or 8cm discs. From a maintainance point of view, I would take a tray to clip the disc on any day, even though I do see the attractiveness of slot-in drives - I used to buy the slot-in SCSI Pioneer drives back in the day ;-] The optical drive tray is on metal rails, its not a flimsy plastic affair.

kee-lo_

I prefer the tray anyday.
Much better than slot-in

Kawasaki
Visitor

Thanks Stephanius for the insight. Always wary of fallin prey to the next modelsyndrone does anyone know where news about forthcoming sony models are released? I don' particularly want to buy something if next month a newer version is due for release.

kee-lo_

The only thing you can do is keep checking SonyStyle