Join now - be part of our community!

Can't eject dvd drive

bohica
Visitor

Can't eject dvd drive

After I boot with an empty dvd drive on a vaio vgn-ar21m if I press the eject button it fails to eject with the error message:

Can't open the tray of the optical drive.
Please try again to eject the tray after close the all using softwares or after shutdown the system and then start the windows.
If none of the above options work, insert a thin, straight object (such as a paper clip) in the manual eject hole in the side of the drive.

I have not tried inserting a paper clip.

If I go to windows explorer, right click on the dvd drive and select eject it ejects so why doesn't it eject when I press the eject button?

Martin

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Martin and welcome to Club Vaio.

All I can think of is the eject button is software driven by your Sony Utilities.

You could try reinstalling these utilities by running C:\Utils\Utils.exe.

If this doesn't work, you could download the Preinstalled Utilities from Vaio-Link and reinstall them in order.

:thinking:

bohica
Visitor

Thanks for replying.

I don't have a c:utils dir on my vaio!

I have reinstalled the entire laptop from rescue disks without any change.

Martin

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Martin,

Have you installed or removed any DVD burning software recently?

Particularly Packet Writing software like InCD, Roxio Drag-to-Disc, Sonic DLA........................

:thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Martin,

As Blencogo suggested, download the pre-installed utilities for your model from Vaio-Link and the try installing:

1 SonyUtils.DLL
2 Sony Shared Library
3 Vaio Event Service
4 Setting Utility Series (possibly - will not do any harm)

And the restart your computer.

If that has no effect then re-install the entire Utilities starting with 1 & 2 above…

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
bohica
Visitor

Incd - no

Roxio -something-or-other - argh

The Sony update software suggested a roxio manual update. i.e. The vaio update in the task bar brought up a page suggesting a manual update of roxio (sonic stage version 4.2 upgrade) - the downloaded dir was c:\update\SOASST-01198204-UN and I did run it after download. Problems have occurred since this not that I am suggesting this is the issue.

Martin

profile.country.es_ES.title
pariope41
Visitor

Do problems with the sound like arrange? Certain games like Doom, Rome Total War etc express(emit) noises as(like) of echo very troublesome that appear and disappear ... since this is solved taking advantage of the answer of an expert? Regards :slight_frown:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Martin,

Do you have Demon Tools installed?

This has caused VAIO users problems.

bohica
Visitor

Hi Martin,

As Blencogo suggested, download the pre-installed utilities for your model from Vaio-Link and the try installing:

1 SonyUtils.DLL
2 Sony Shared Library
3 Vaio Event Service
4 Setting Utility Series (possibly - will not do any harm)

And the restart your computer.

If that has no effect then re-install the entire Utilities starting with 1 & 2 above…

Thanks for the info. I did 1 to 4 above - no change.
I think it was 1 which uninstalled first, then I installed it again.

I haven't tried reinstalling everything yet as there are so many.

Someone mentioned roxio - I did upgrade to roxio studio 4.2.

Martin

bohica
Visitor

Martin,

Do you have Demon Tools installed?

This has caused VAIO users problems.

No.