Join now - be part of our community!

Can't eject dvd drive

bohica
Visitor

Can't eject dvd drive

After I boot with an empty dvd drive on a vaio vgn-ar21m if I press the eject button it fails to eject with the error message:

Can't open the tray of the optical drive.
Please try again to eject the tray after close the all using softwares or after shutdown the system and then start the windows.
If none of the above options work, insert a thin, straight object (such as a paper clip) in the manual eject hole in the side of the drive.

I have not tried inserting a paper clip.

If I go to windows explorer, right click on the dvd drive and select eject it ejects so why doesn't it eject when I press the eject button?

Martin

13 REPLIES 13
2takter
Visitor

Hi,
in my case the solution was the following: I had Alcohol 120% installed which emulates an additional cd/dvd-drive. To make the eject-button work i only had to make sure that the vaio-hardware-drive had a drive-letter lower than the emulated drive, e.g. G for DVD-RW and H for emulated device. This can be done in system->administration.
greetings
Jens

bohica
Visitor

Thanks Jens, but this does not appear to be my problem. I have C and D drives (partitions on my disk) and my dvd is G - can't remember off hand (and laptop not in front of me now) what e: was but it is a standard device that came with the laptop.

Martin

2takter
Visitor

Hi,
you could "just for fun" try setting the dvd-drive to e: and see what happens, that would be my suggestion.
Greetings
Jens

bohica
Visitor

Swapping the drive letters around so the dvd was e: and the removable disks were f: and g: does not help. I've also searched through all the processes showing in task manager and verified they are all genuine ones.

Martin