Join now - be part of our community!

Can't Install Latest Graphics Drivers

Ravage
Visitor

Can't Install Latest Graphics Drivers

Hi all, I'm trying to install the latest ATI graphics drivers for my VGN-A117s from the US website http://ciscdb.sel.sony.com/perl/swu-download.pl?template=EN&upd_id=1698&os_id=7&mdl=VGNA170

These drivers do not install as they check for the model number. Since the US notebooks are slightly different model numbers the drivers will not install. The ones on the Europe site are a little older than the ones on the US site so I really want to get them installed.

Does anyone know how I can install these drivers?

26 REPLIES 26
TygerTyger
Visitor

I don't think much of MVN board anyway, phpbb gets my vote. Or VB, but you have to pay so I don't see it.

I'm starting to become distinctly anti-Sony, and I liked them a lot 6 months ago. They only have themselves to blame too.

Justinl
Visitor

Personally I am not surprised or worried about Sony's lack of support or upgrades.

Laptops are increasingly becoming more disposable, as soon as you buy one a new model is released superceding the one you just spent a fortune on.

Sony make very good laptops, yes you can by ones with similar specs for cheaper , or better specs for the same price but I still believe the actual quality of the Sony build is far better and also a large amount of the money goes on the screen which along with the Centrino is prob the most important part of the laptop.

I work in the IT industry and tbh find the Sony support no worse than most other brands. Most of the posts on the forums berrating Sony's make me laugh tbh. If you want a laptop with a 256meg gc on it, buy one, what you will find is that the mobility 9700 chip can't take advantage of more than 64meg due to the number of pipes. If you want a 9800 etc you then have to make comprimises due to the greater amount of heat generated. I guess all I am saying is that do some research before buying a laptop and then slagging it off for not having the best spec. The more powerful gc, a more powerful processor all have large design ramifications. Most issues seem to be software related, lets face it more often than not these are Microsoft OS issues rather than Sony issues. If you are careful with what you install, keep your drivers updated ie use the latest chipset drivers by intel etc you shouldn't have to many issues.

I believe these forums are a great tool and the help of the Viao masters is invaluable. Sony Laptops are good, Sony Support is poor but lets face it that won't change.The chipsets on the new Sony's are standard Intel, the Graphics Card is Standard ATI, there are software updates you can make without having to rely on Sony.

Anyway enough of my ramblings, install the Omega's and enjoy :slight_smile: Also by far the best upgrade you can make to the A line range of laptops is to stick a min of 1gb ram, this will increase performance greatly and reduce disk access therefore increasing the overall speed.

Woody27
Visitor

install the Omega's and enjoy :slight_smile: Also   by far the best upgrade you can make to the A line range of laptops is to stick a min of 1gb ram, this will increase performance greatly and reduce disk access therefore increasing the overall speed.

Nice post Justine!,

I agree the Omega's are fine and adding more RAM is by far the best perfomance boost.

Additionally, it may interest some VGN-A users that although VAIO Europe states that users of the VGN-A11x series can only take upto 1 GB of RAM, they can in fact support upto 2GB. If you look at U.S. sites they clearly state this in relation to their equivalent model numbers (which use the same mother boards!).

I have found Offtek very reliable and quick at supplying RAM upgrades!

NOTE: VGN-A users, that Sony configure 512Mb VGN-A laptops with 2x256Mb modules, so both must be replaced! One is under the Keyboard... ...see your manuals for instructions (if you can't find them download them from VAIO-Link).

Cheers

CW

Justinl
Visitor

Nearly correct Woody I'm a Justin not a Justine :slight_smile:

Memory is the one thing that Sony (as do most other manufacturers) sting you with. Firstly 512mb for this laptop is no where near enough needs to be 1gb..2ndly they should at least just install 1 512meg Dimm rather than 256mb ones, this is just down to money...ie to upgrade you need to purchase 2 Dimms rather than just one......

Good point also Woody with the memory limit. I went out and purchased a 1gig dimm so am currently running with 1.25gb, will replace the other 256mb dimm with another 1gb one in the near future :slight_smile: Mine was bought through Crucial.

Woody27
Visitor

Nearly  correct Woody I'm a Justin not a Justine :slight_smile:

Whoops, Sorry !!!!

TygerTyger
Visitor

I agree Justin, 99% of the time Omega Drivers should be just fine for Sony customers, but I still don't think it's fair on people. It's fine for people who are technically savvy and/or happen to come on the forum and ask where to get recent drivers from, but your average Joe could get themselves into a bit of trouble with modified 3rd party drivers, and that's if they even look for them. I'm will to bet that most people just see that there's no newer drivers within the last year or so (for my laptop) and then stop there. Since Sony don't direct people to Omega drivers, or suggest them as an alternative nobody will find them anyway unless they already know of their existence or we repeatedly post about them here.

Oh and I entirely agree with you about people that don't do their research first. Luckily very few threads on the forum take that direction. Good advice about the RAM by the way, that's something that comes up quite frequently here, it's always a handy bit of advice :smileygrin:.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Sony should just get on with making these drivers, I mean, how many more complaints do we need before they start?