Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-A217M dead pixel

SiMoStro
Visitor

VGN-A217M dead pixel

I bought a VGN-A217M notebook (my first notebook...) last week
and I've to say it's really a good notebook;
very beautiful display, just one thing: a terrible dead pixel on the
right side of the panel :slight_frown: (at 2/3 of the display)

Well, I can survive to this :slight_smile: but I guess if anyone of you knows
if Sony applies th "5 pixels" policy or if it use a different policy for
a 2000 euros notebook...
:thinking:

SiMoStro

6 REPLIES 6
Woody27
Visitor

I'm afraid you';re stuck with the dead pixel!:smileysad:

I can't quite recall Sony's policy on dead pixels, but it has to be quite a few (not one!).

Your quite unlucky, as of the 4 VAIOs I have personally owened only one of them had a dead pixel, and that (fortunately) was usually obscured by the Windows START button!

The best thing is to try and ignore it, I know that this is easier said than done!

Yours

CW

TygerTyger
Visitor

Sonys policy is in line with all other manufacturers I'm afraid, and I do believe it's 5 pixels minimum. I'm not 100% but I'm fairly sure it's only 3 pixels if they are clustered together though.

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Yep. You are absolutely right Tyger - 5 pixels is the absolute minimum before a replacement is deemed necessary unless they are grouped or clustered then as you said it has to be 3 or more.

This is in line with Class-2 ISO standards. It is a pity that Sony cannot follow Class-1 ISO standards - if a dead pixel is found in this way an entirely new LCD panel is fitted as a replacement. Mind you I suppose the reason they don't to this economy i'm afraid - LCD's are expensive if they malfunction:smileycry:

TygerTyger
Visitor

Interesting interesting I didn't know that there were two different standards. I never heard of anyone replacing the LCD for one dead pixel, who follows the Class 1 standard then?

SiMoStro
Visitor

I'm afraid you';re stuck with the dead pixel!:smileysad:

Well, I'm afraid I'll have this "new friend" for the future :slight_smile:

I called the dead pixel "Pixie" and it is my new friend that
gives me advice when I write nonsense code!

It is often mixed between letters and symbols and after all
it is quite silent...

Seriously speeking, it'd have been worst if it was a red pixel
in the middle of the screen and... oh, well, it's just a pixel.
Pardon, a "Pixie".

Thanx

SiMoStro

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Apparently there are some people who believe massaging it makes it go away. Not sure if this works (touch wood I aint had one) but some say they go....

Do it at your own risk and don't put too much preasure on it.