Join now - be part of our community!

I just called Vaio Support

mrgame_cat
Visitor

I just called Vaio Support

So I just called Sony to try to shed some light on why my fr415b is having problems with the "Sony NoteBook Setup" program. They tell me this is because I have XP Pro installed instead of the original XP home.

I have lost the original Rescue disk which has XP home on it. They tell me a replacement is £50!!!!

I think I will just have to do without Sony Notebook setup.

Could anyone tell me what Sony Notebook Setup actually does? Do I need it, or is it just a snazzy little program which configures the Laptop for me and saves me going through the functions in Control panel manually?

8 REPLIES 8
Woody27
Visitor

Could anyone tell me what Sony Notebook Setup actually does?  Do I need it, or is it just a snazzy little program which configures the Laptop for me and saves me going through the functions in Control panel manually?

Yes, you've hit the nail on the head!

That's exactly what it is! You can do it all from either the control panel or by going into the BIOS on start-up!

I would'nt worry about it, no big loss!

Yours

CW

TygerTyger
Visitor

What?!?! It sure as hell never used to be £50, are you sure that's right?

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

It's ¿20
Anyway Sony Notebook Setup can be important if the setting is locked in the BIOS.

mrgame_cat
Visitor

Seriously mate, £50. Their words exactly.

OK so I am going to uninstall Sony Notebook Setup when I get home...

Just have to sort out the Hotkey issues and install the rest of the Original Drivers which are being a pain in the bum

Nearly there!

kee-lo_

Unbelievable!
Thats crazy pricing....

mrgame_cat
Visitor

"Anyway Sony Notebook Setup can be important if the setting is locked in the BIOS."

Sorry mate, can you explain what you mean by this? Thanks!

(And I honestly got told £50)

TygerTyger
Visitor

For whoever was asking in another thread earlier.........this is why we get tetchy with Sony Support.

kee-lo_

Well some settings on the GRX appeared in the SNS but not in the BIOS, so they couldn't be changed without SNS