Join now - be part of our community!

CANON POWERSHOT A85

scaramanga
Visitor

CANON POWERSHOT A85

Hi!
Does anyone know why I cannot download directly from my canon A85 to the VP. Please don't tell me they are not compatible!
Cheers

16 REPLIES 16
DiabloVaio
Visitor

Is your camera a MASS STORAGE DEVICE? If not, don't even think about connecting your camera directly to VP!
If your camera is a MASS STORAGE DEVICE, then turn it off, turn your VP off, connect the USB cables correctly, then turn your VP on, then turn your camera on, then go to Photo Storage option, and wait. If you see an error, that means your camera is not compatible with VP!
However, some cameras' settings need to be changed before using with VP, which I don't have any information about.

scaramanga
Visitor

Sorry for the dumb question but how do I find out if my camera is a Mass storage device? i looked in the manual and there is no mention about mass storage device?

DiabloVaio
Visitor

Connect it to your computer, if it comes up as an external drive, the it's a MASS STORAGE DEVICE !

MadarbWoT
Visitor

i dont mean to frighten you but some cameras especially not sony made are not at all compatible with the vp as they dont share any software connections or dont have any.
therefore you need to check if your camera can be recognized by trying really hard and changing every little thing that could affect this to see if it is really compatible or not.

sorry for being pesimistic...

scaramanga
Visitor

I have tried every single setting and although my computer recognise the camera as canon powershot it does not recognise it as an external drive i.e. like VP. I am alreadynprepared for the worst. It's a bummer anyway!
Cheers everyone for your help

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

Can you change the USB-mode on you Powershot?

There are three differents on my Cybershot.

Normal, PTP and PictBridge. I think you must use the normal-mode, if you can change this.

scaramanga
Visitor

I have looked everywhere in the camera set up but nothing about changing or modifing USB cable.....I think I have to give in

DiabloVaio
Visitor

I have a FjiFilm Finepix F610, It's not a very new version, but it works great with VP.
I found this for you :
Simplified Printing and Uploading

The PowerShot A85 features Canon's Print/Share button for single step printing and file sharing. When the camera is connected via USB cable to any PictBridge or Direct Print compatible photo printer or Windows PC, a blue light on the Print/Share button comes on to indicate successful connection. Pushing the button when lit instigates a print of the currently displayed image (based on the connected printer's default settings) or an automatic transfer of images to the PC . The camera transfers all images, all images not yet transferred, or all images marked for transfer, depending on the user setting selected in the Camera's set up options.

Be hopeful my friend!
Do you turn your camera on when you connect it to VP? :tongue:
One more thing, use your camera's own USB cable to connect it to VP cradle.

scaramanga
Visitor

But of course...the camera was switched off!!:smileywink:

Thanks for the tip but still the VP gives the message:
Error Camera not detected. Check the power and the connection of the camera

..and yes I use the USB of my camera.