Join now - be part of our community!

Capture video from VCR

Ed.Birch
Visitor

Capture video from VCR

I have recently bought a Vaio Desktop VGC-V2 and have tried to capture video from a VCR via the three wire audio and video phono connections.

When I run Windows Movie Maker and choose Capture Video it tells me that there is no video capture device.

What am I doing wrong?

Is there and easier way:smileysad:

29 REPLIES 29
Ed.Birch
Visitor

Dear Kee-Lo and Rob,

I did as we had discussed and rigged up the cheesiest of antenna such that Vaio-Zone TV could just detect some TV stations. The software then saved stations 1-8 as Tv stations and #9 as external input.

I now have the ability to record, pause etc all of these.

Seems like the sotware is not easily set-up just for 'external' video inputs.

Thanks for your help.

Ed Birch:smileygrin:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Thats great.
They should make it as easy as Gigapocket.

Ed.Birch
Visitor

Dear Kee-Lo,

Sorry next problem.

I have now recorded three 1 hour peces of video from VCR via Vaio-Zobe, no problem, I can view then from the hard drive.

However, when i try to record to DVD I get the message tom insert a suitable DVD. I have used the same DVD's to creat restore disc in the same drive no problem. I have tried more than one new disc DVD+R.

What am I doing wrong?

Kind regards,
Ed Birch

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Check the disks conform to Ritek Grade 4 Layering or use TDK media and give it a spin (sorry no pun intended:smileywink: :smileygrin:)

Ed.Birch
Visitor

The DVD+R's are Sony DPR120N2, there is no spec on the box. I repeat I have written to discs from the same box on the same PC using the 'create restore discs' function.

What other programs will write to DVD?

Thanks
Ed

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Have you tried Nero Burning ROM or Nero Burning 6 Reloaded? I have no personal experience of either but many users suggest that this is truely excellent software.

I use Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 for Windows XP because it was bundled with my CD-RW - which has now died. I find it is OK, just lacking some in features...

kee-lo_

Are you sure it supports +R?

robpaxton
Explorer

He has already created the recovery DVDs using the same type of disks - it supports DVD+/-R&RW.

If you can create the recovery disks then it's got to be a software issue. Have you checked Vaio-Link for updates to your software? What program are you using to burn the DVD?

If you have Click to DVD then this should allow you to burn the DVD

kee-lo_

Ahh sorry about that, wasn't concentrating.

Ed.Birch
Visitor

Overnight I tried again with a DVD+RW disc of the same Sony brand and it has worked. That makes no sense to me?

I would use different DVD writing software but its not clear where Vaio Link stores the data that it has recorded from VCR and in what format.

Any clues?

Thanks Ed