Join now - be part of our community!

V2S Monitor standby whilst keeping computer operational

Kieron
Visitor

V2S Monitor standby whilst keeping computer operational

Ok,

With a standard desktop PC, you could leave the machine running all night long, doing tasks, number crunching etc and you could just press the off button on the front of your monitor.

However, put the V2S in standby and everything goes off - pc and all. Put the monitor to display a "blank" screensaver and power is still going to the monitor - the lcd is just displaying the colour black....

How do you power off the monitor whilst keeping tasks running...?

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

The only way is via the power settings of Windows
Control Panel Power and set it to turn off the monitor after 5mins of inactivity (this usually means user imput)

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

The only way is via the power settings of Windows Control Panel Power and set it to turn off the monitor after 5mins of inactivity (this usually means user imput)

Nice one Kee-Lo - works for me!:smileygrin: As a bonus tip, you can set this differently for battery mode and AC power mode as well. Now thats :cool:

Kieron
Visitor

It works to a point. If you are downloading anything the download slows virtually to a halt when the monitor is set to shut down.....

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Really? Is this because you have a USB modem?
I suggest a powered hub, you can get them for £3 @ ebuyer

tags
Visitor

I setup the power options properties and created a profile for downloading. I set all options to never except monitor which is set to a couple of minutes. Also select the option to show in the taskbar so that you can change it quickly. I personally leave this profile on all the time. So, its usually downloading through the night, well all the time really and i dont see any slow down in dl speed. I am connecting wirelessly to a router downstairs. The other good thing with this is that when your are in vaio zone, the screen never goes off, even when i am on my downloading profile, and interestingly, it never goes off when i am viewing video in windows (must be something to do with video overlays etc). But fine, screen goes off when you want it to. The screen does give off some heat when left on for prolonged periods.

Hope it helps anyway. :slight_smile: