Join now - be part of our community!

Capture video from VCR

Ed.Birch
Visitor

Capture video from VCR

I have recently bought a Vaio Desktop VGC-V2 and have tried to capture video from a VCR via the three wire audio and video phono connections.

When I run Windows Movie Maker and choose Capture Video it tells me that there is no video capture device.

What am I doing wrong?

Is there and easier way:smileysad:

29 REPLIES 29
Ed.Birch
Visitor

Following on from the above:

Suffice to say I don not intend to use DVD+RW discs in the long term. Any suggestions? Someone had suggested TDK discs that conform to Ritek Grade 4 Layering....and background to this would be helpful.

I notice that when I insert the DVD+R and look in my computer the DVD drive shows with a DVD-ROM icon. When I put in the DVD+RW it shows a DVD icon. Does this tell you anything?

Also, if I knew where the stored video files were created by Vaio-Zone I could presumably use a different burning software? Any guidance?

Ed Birch

Ed.Birch
Visitor

Can you give any background on the Ritek spec that you quote. Do the TDK discs that you recommend conform? What is their TDK part number?

What is the choice between DVD+R and DVD-R as TDK seem to only supply DVD-R?

I believe all DVD readers and writers that I have are compatible with both.

Thanks
Ed Birch

Psaila
Visitor

You need to use the recording facility of Vaio Zone or is it Gigapocket?

Gigapocket. I use ROB

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

These are not TDK, but they use the famous Ritek G04 layering, which is considered the best by the pros

DVD+R Media

Edit: god this forum software sucks!

Ed.Birch
Visitor

My Vaio does not have Gigapocket. I have used Vaio-Zone to record from VCR and now I want to record the video to DVD.

Ed.Birch
Visitor

Dear All,

I have now worked my way through a box of 10 Sony DVD+R's and four of them did not succeed using Vaio-Zone which uses ClicktoDVD recording software.

Once a disc has failed I can neither read from nor write to it.

For now I am putting this down to a bad box of discs.

Any suggestions?

kee-lo_

Sorry to hear that Ed.
I would personally call VAIO Link and explain the device is not working.

Ed.Birch
Visitor

Dear Kee-Lo,

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried to use e-support on the Vaio-Link site, but it says I'm not registered. I have checked and I am registered with Club-Vaio but it will not let me register with e-support because it says my e-mail address and serial number do not match. They do match in the Club-Vaio site where I registered!!! Boring...

There is no registration help that I can find.

Any suggestions?:smileycry:

kee-lo_

The only thing you can do is call VAIO Link, eSupport has been broke before I was around.

tags
Visitor

Your external input will only become visible after you have searched for channels and you can not search for channels until you put an aerial in the socket, even if its a shite set top one. It will usually find something fuzzy but the last channel t finds will be your external inout. Disappointingly, the composite video and s-video are not seperate, you can use one or the other. The s-video over-ride the yellow composite phono. I wanted to use an xbox through s-video and 2.4ghz video sender for sky on the composite. Instead i have had to buy a switcher and put the xbox and video sender throught that and then into the composite input, works ok. Just a shame that you can't use both inputs at once.

Hope this helps.