Join now - be part of our community!

cd/dvd drive not working

zina
Visitor

cd/dvd drive not working

had problems before with my disc drive(didnt open lots of times),but always postponed to send it to sony cause need it for work.
yesterday tryied to write a cd .....it took ages to read it and when it did and was trying to write the cd wizard said there was no cd in the drive(not only once)........after lots of times it read the cd but when i was gonna write again it said that the empty cd is full(all of the empty cds i tryied)......
anyone had these kind of problems with their drive before?
gonna take it for repair but hate the fact im gonna have to wait for 10 days at least to get it back
:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

21 REPLIES 21
TygerTyger
Visitor

What model of computer/drive is it? I'm afraid broken optical drives are overwhelmingly the biggest problem on ClubVAIO in recent times.

zina
Visitor

its a fs115m
i think the drive is sony dvd rw dw-d56a???
5 minutes ago it was working properly:smileyangry:

TygerTyger
Visitor

Yeah, that's the model with rather a lot of breakdowns. Try Mr Tony's solution here (grabbing the driver appropriate for your drive) and if that doesn't work, which if all the other cases are anything to go by it won't, I think you'll have to get in touch with Vaio-Link and arrange for repair.

I think it's about time they addressed the constant problems with this drive.

zina
Visitor

went to vaio link and found the optical drive download but its an update ,is that the one you are talking about?
?

TygerTyger
Visitor

Well I was just saying that in case there was one. Since there is, that's the one I mean :smileygrin:

Make sure it is for your model though, some computers have various optical drives.

wheresmybeaver
Visitor

Hey guys, looooong question, sorry. Basically, does the system restore thing really save the contents of the D drive (in practice)?

Long version: I've come to the conclusion that my own D56a drive is broken. It still reads ordinary DVDs and CDs, but never reads recorded DVDs (doesn't matter which brand or who burned it), and it never successfully burns recordable DVDs (always dies at about 90% with a very unpleasant whirring sound). CD-R burning sometimes works, but its usually a success rate of 1 in every 5 discs. Shite.

So, will be doing the full system restore to appease Sony (I presume its the first question they'll ask when I ask them to repair it). It says in my manual that I can copy everything from my C drive that I want to save over to the D drive and do a system restore, and while it will erase and start the C drive from scratch, everything should be saved, untouched, on the D drive. Does this REALLY work? Bearing in mind that I cant burn DVDs for backup.... I don't want to have to buy and external drive for this....

Thanks thanks thanks

UPDATE: I just opened a case in eSupport detailing the problem. I also had to provide a list of all the software I added to my machine... jaysus... Now, I know that EVERYBODY uses their DVD drive to make copies of copyrighted DVDs 😉 Lets just agree on that! but should I mention this? I don't want eSupport telling me to feck off because I use AnyDVD to make backup copies of DVDs I own! I've been doing it for almost a year and its never caused any damage! What do u guys think?

(Very disappointed about this broken DVD drive, by the way)

Akademius
Visitor

Hi,

yesterday i faced exactly the same problem: i was just burning a CD, when the sonic burn-progr. stopped the process and kicked out my cd-r.

The DVD RW DW-D56A worked properly since 4 month in my Sony Vaio FS-115Z.

But now it does not read any CDs nor DVDs. I have a firmware update, but do not think it is a software problem? Is this a popular problem?

It goes off with a totally new sound, seems like it tries to start the cd but is beeing stopped :thinking:

I guess it is the best to report this to Sony...

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Zina,

Sounds like the drive's belt has gone which tells it if the door is properly closed.

Looks like it'll need a repair :slight_frown:

zina
Visitor

yeah....
was afraid of that kee-lo,think that is whats stoping it to read the cds?
did the firmwire update but cant tell if the cd problem is solved cause half the time it works
shit.....hate having to live without my baby for 10 days
im in Greece...gonna take it to sony here and wont do anything with e-support vaio link and stuff:smileyangry: :angry: :angry:
its frustrating cause we all pay a lot af money to get vaios that are suposed to be one of the best:smileyangry: :angry: :angry: