Join now - be part of our community!

Changing CPU of A214M?

brainray
Visitor

Changing CPU of A214M?

Hi,

ist it possible to exchange the cpu of a A217M? Is the cpu in a socket? Is there any desrciption or similar how to do this?

Many thanks in advance!

Ray

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

Yes this CPU is socked in a 479M base. Theoretically it's possible and expensive too.

The VGN-A217S has a Pentium M 735 CPU instead of a 725 CPU. Which has 1,7 instead of 1,6GHz.

The price is very high of these CPUs. Approx 290¿ for the 750 which is in the VGN-A317S.

725 = 1,6GHz, 750 = 1,87GHz, and the top rate 770 = 2,13GHz (650¿)

Upgrading isn't really useful. (my opinion) And I don't know wheter the Motherboard in your VAIO accept a, for example P M 750. Upgrading the RAM would be better and cheaper.:smileywink:

brainray
Visitor

Thanks, yes they are expensive (btw, I have a A215M, I wrote 214 accidentally).
I already have the RAM at 1 GB and will upgrade the drive as well. I'm doing music production, so I can use any bit of performance to get. The 2000 MHz Pentium-M is available for like 410 Euro/Dollar. That would be my choice.

How can I find out if the motherboard will accept the new cpu? Do you think Sony gives such kind of information?

Thanks again

Ray

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

btw, I have a A215M, I wrote 214 accidentally
LOL, typing fault from me.:smileyblush:

How can I find out if the motherboard will accept the new cpu? Do you think Sony gives such kind of information?

Try it. I would call VAIO-Link for that. You could also try the e-support. Maye they give you an answer.:smileyconfused:

Good Luck

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I doubt Sony will tell you, they don't like upgrades :slight_frown: :slight_frown: :slight_frown: