Join now - be part of our community!

Changing external monitor refresh rate (PCG-FX301, WinXP)

shew
Visitor

Changing external monitor refresh rate (PCG-FX301, WinXP)

Hi,

I am desparately trying to find a way to increase the refresh rate on an external monitor attached to my laptop.

If I uninstall the ATI drivers downloaded from VAIO-Link the default windows drivers will let me change the refresh rate of the monitor but I cannot have both screens up and running to enlarge my desktop (and changing screens needs to be done using Fn+F7 on the keyboard). However, with the ATI drivers installed, I am able to get both screens running but I cannot increase the refresh rate of the monitor (it remains stuck on 60Hz).

Hopefully someone can help,

Thanks
Shaun

16 REPLIES 16
TygerTyger
Visitor

If you install the proper drivers for the 2nd monitor, the ATI control panel should let you change the refresh rate to above 60, provided the monitor supports it.

Twisted-Rizla
Visitor

provided the monitor supports it.

TT. Been trying to find out what my monitor supports but have got a bit confused. It's like this: My monitor is a SDM S73. It is a 90Hz. Under the monitor setting the screen refresh rate is set at 60Herz. I'm assuing Hz is the same as Herz and therefore shouldn't the refresh rate be set to 90Hz. I've got the box ticked which says "Hide modes this monitor cannot display" but when ticked it only displays 60herz. If I uncheck the box I get offererd a choice of 60Hz, 70Hz and 75Hz but no 90Hz. (Hope you're still with me) Am I getting confused with refresh rates and output rates?

Signed
Confused from Sandhurst

TygerTyger
Visitor

You are from Sandhurst? You are freakin kidding me. That's so close to me I could practically see you from my window.

Anyway, if you're confused then I sure as hell am too. At any rate, I'd just set it at 70 or 75 and be done with it. They look much better than 60 and the risk of something untoward because you have set it too high is very small indeed.

Snipes
Visitor

Setting your refresh rate higher then what ur machine can take will probably cause some hardware to crash and is not really adviseable, setiing to 70 or 75 should'nt halm it though, any higher and your takeing a risk!

Twisted-Rizla
Visitor

Thanks Snipes.
It's just that since I updated my graphics driver I've been struggling to get a decent resolution and had started to wonder if i should play about with refresh rates. Think I'll leave it!:smileygrin:

Yup TT Sandhurst. How close are you then?

Twisted-Rizla
Visitor

Point is though I've got a 90Hz monitor. Does the 90Hz refer to something other than the screen refresh rate? Either way the settings are defaulted to 60Hz and only allow adjustment to 75 - and that's only if I uncheck the box which says "Hide modes this monitor cannot display".

TygerTyger
Visitor

I'm in the next town over pretty much. Begins with a W, where you change trains to go into London. Yknow the one I mean.

By the way resolution and refresh rate aren't connected. Do you have the correct driver installed for your monitor?

Twisted-Rizla
Visitor

LOL not a million miles away:smileyhappy:

Just got the driver that was supplied. Updated it yesterday but no change. I did update mu graphics card driver tho and since then can't get a good resolution on the screen. The new driver works perfectly in that I can play Doom3 at last but the text is a little shadowy. I've played about in the settings, turned shadows offf/on, changed resolutions, fonts sizes icon sizes but the screen still looks like i need glasses to view it.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I know where you mean Tyger.

Yeah Snipes is right 75 is the best