Join now - be part of our community!

vaio hanging after startup

bluemore
Visitor

vaio hanging after startup

I have recently experienced a problem with my PCG-8L3M NOTEBOOK. It was giving great service then started to close itself down without warning. Then it got to the point where It would require a couple of re-starts and it would be fine. Now it starts then hangs. I have done what I can in terms of checking memory, cleaning fan, reformating HD etc but still this persists.
Anyone any ideas or is this an expensive problem?

17 REPLIES 17
profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Probably best to get Sony involved on this one, the contact information can be found here.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Have you changed hard disk too?

bluemore
Visitor

Why do you say that? is that a first step procedure then? expensive if its not the hard drive error.

Woody27
Visitor

That's a strange model, is it European?

To help you we need more information:

What Processor Does it have?
Windows edition?
Memory?
How does it hang... ...in windows... ...does'nt even get that far?
How old is it?

CW

kee-lo_

Why do you say that? is that a first step procedure then? expensive if its not the hard drive error.

Nope trying to get a better picture of what's been done at your end.

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

This is a REALLY long shot, but try reseating your RAM chips. The service hatch and how to remove/install the chips can be found on Sony's VAIO-Link Knowledge Base FAQ, follow the FAQ to see the model-specific information and above all be careful!

Also try cleaning your system fans.

bluemore
Visitor

well the model number on the front is PCG-GRZ615M
It's about 14 months old
P4 WITH XP HOME 512 MEM

bluemore
Visitor

Did that and ran on one slot then moved chips around so had every possible config of mem in slots. still does it. bought new hd, added it, installed os, still does it

kee-lo_

How about with just one ?