Join now - be part of our community!

Changing external monitor refresh rate (PCG-FX301, WinXP)

shew
Visitor

Changing external monitor refresh rate (PCG-FX301, WinXP)

Hi,

I am desparately trying to find a way to increase the refresh rate on an external monitor attached to my laptop.

If I uninstall the ATI drivers downloaded from VAIO-Link the default windows drivers will let me change the refresh rate of the monitor but I cannot have both screens up and running to enlarge my desktop (and changing screens needs to be done using Fn+F7 on the keyboard). However, with the ATI drivers installed, I am able to get both screens running but I cannot increase the refresh rate of the monitor (it remains stuck on 60Hz).

Hopefully someone can help,

Thanks
Shaun

16 REPLIES 16
Twisted-Rizla
Visitor

But.......
Under the settings the screen is set at 60Hz with no other option to increase it unless I uncheck the box which says: "Hide modes this monitor cannot display".
Because the other Hz settings were not available until I unchecked the box do I assume that my monitor will only handle 60Hz?

TygerTyger
Visitor

Well uncheck it and then select 75mhz. If your monitor can't do 75Mhz it will probably come up as a big mess and Windows will force you back to 60. If it looks ok, then it can do 75.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Or you'll get a message "no signal" which should disapear within 30secs and back to normal.

Twisted-Rizla
Visitor

Thanks guys:smileyhappy:

shew
Visitor

OK....
well, i my monitor can take at least 85Hz ( I havent tried to take it higher). In the advance display control panel, if i set the monitor to anything higher than 60Hz (ie something actally usable) nothing happends - the screen just sets itself to 60Hz. I've tried the latest drivers from Vaio-link and in the end I had to uninstall them as I would rather have 1 screen at a sensible refresh rate than the screen and the LCD with a silly rate on the monitor.

Anyone actually have any ideas on what's going on here?

Cheers,
Shaun

shew
Visitor

anyone have an idea?

shew
Visitor

😞

i guess its a case of c'est la vie then.