Join now - be part of our community!

Changing the HDD

profile.country.DE.title
gigierk
Explorer

Changing the HDD

Hello,

if I want change the HDD in case of a damage is there any things i must notice? For example the capacity of the HDD or the interface of the disk.

I have a three year old Sony PCG GRT785E with a 40 GB HDD.

Thanks for help

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi g_gierke,

Any 2 ½ “ x 9mm size hard drive will be OK. I suggest that you look at drives that have a 7200 rpm spindle speed. From my experiance Hitachi Travelstar are reliable drives.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.DE.title
gigierk
Explorer

Thanks for your information. But which is the right interface?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Sorry forgot to mention that it should be ATA inertface....

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

Rich i note you comments I am also in the process of changing my HDD. But the difficulty is chosing between the 5400 & 7200 speeds. baring in mind that the faster speed may generate more heat and noise +life expectancy may be shorter..so still a little confused over selection. thanks jd76.

petridis
Visitor

I have recently upgraded my HDD and got one at 5400. It's very quite. I am not sure about 7200. I think they must be much more expensive.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi jd76,

I too have recently upgraded the HDD in my notebook and after much research opted for a 7200 rpm. There is no noticeable change in noise (in fact it is totally silent), the drive on average runs 1 deg C higher than its predecessor so life expectancy should be close to equal.

The main noticeable change is the access speed which has made a considerable improvement in performance.

In conclusion, if you can afford the extra cost, it is well worth opting for 7200 rpm.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

Thanks rich I'll give it some thought. I was kindly being helped by Blencogo so between you things are looking rather positive...jd76..

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

You're welcome jd76. :slight_smile:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat