Join now - be part of our community!

Clean Install

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Zayd1984
Visitor

Clean Install

I want to clean install on a new SSD hard drive on my Viao VPCF23N1E/B, but without losing all me softwares? Can i back them up some how and install them later?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Zayd1984,

I'm afraid this is not possible after a clean install as as the software will need installing on the new OS.

You can of course install any third party software that you have the installation software for but most of the pre-installed software is not available for download.

An alternative would be to create a clone of the existing drive and then uninstall any software not required.

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57395595-285/migrating-to-ssd-get-yourself-a-new-computer-withou...

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Zayd1984,

I'm afraid this is not possible after a clean install as as the software will need installing on the new OS.

You can of course install any third party software that you have the installation software for but most of the pre-installed software is not available for download.

An alternative would be to create a clone of the existing drive and then uninstall any software not required.

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57395595-285/migrating-to-ssd-get-yourself-a-new-computer-withou...

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Zayd1984
Visitor

Thanks Rich... Got me OS and now can't wait for the weekend to build it all up... 😃

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Good luck Zayd1894 and let us know how it goes...

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Zayd1984
Visitor

It wasn't easy rich912... :slight_frown:

The entire practical went without any problems…  Till I had to upload all the drivers back on from Sony support when my Blu-ray Driver didn’t work… It doesn’t install prompting me to install WINDVD first and that costs money…  Is there anything I could do?

Also lost me all me Vaio themes which are much cooler than windows 7, can I retrieve from my old hard drive that was originally in there?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Zayd1984,

As stated in my initial post most preinstalled software is not available to download - WinDVD included. The only way to retain this software is to reinstall the original OS using the recovery disks.

You can download original wallpapers and screensavers from this site but not themes as far as I am aware.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Zayd1984
Visitor

Sorry mate should've read your post properly... I was just excited to put everything together but thanks anyway Rich912...

Any advise if I was to do the whole thing again but this time cloning it from my original drive, is it worth the bother because the laptop seems fine it's just the blu-ray software and few other Sony softwares.

Would it damage the SSD’s life expectancy by much?